Chapter 7: The Secerts Out

The next day I found my classes fine. The first day of school was going okay until Defense Against The Dark Arts came in the afternoon.

"Wands away," said Umbridge.

Everyone looked around at each other but put them away obediently. After all, obedience, respect, and honesty were all taught at Hogwarts.

"We won't be using them in this class anymore," she said as she reached her desk.

I glared at her angrily.

"If you did not know the minister of magic has decided that things at Hogwarts need a bit of ... changing and we at the ministry think that knowing the theory of a spell will be enough to get you through you exams.

"Rubbish"

"No wands?"

"What are we supposed to do then?"
Echoed around the classroom walls.

"Silence!" Said Umbridge in her high pitched girly voice.

"Please open to page 1 of your textbook and read the first chapter to yourself,"

"This is going to be awful," I whispered to Ginny. She nodded and opened her book as did I.

"It requires no talking Miss-" she pointed at me.

"Miss-?" she said.

"Oh- um... Eliza," I said.

"I wanted your last name,"

"I'm sorry I don't give that out," I said blushing.

"Well, you have to tell me," she said a bit of the sweetness in her voice leaving.

"I go by Eliza every other teacher is okay with that," I said a little frustrated but trying not to show it. People were now looking at this from all over the classroom. Only a few people knew my last name. I wasn't allowed to give it out because people couldn't know I was related to Harry Potter. People thought that I had died. I mean how would the baby Potter survive?

"Do you think this is respectable?" asked Umbridge. I restrained from rolling my eyes in frustration.

"Professor, I am only saying that I can't give you my last name- it's not that big of a deal,"

"NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL? IT IS A VERY BIG DEAL ELIZA BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT SHOWING ME THE AUTHORITY I HAVE OVER YOU YOU ARE NOT RESPECTING ME."

"Mam, all I did was not give you my name why is it that important?" I asked rising from my chair. She was now in front of Ginny and my joint desk.

"It is important because your name is part of your identity. It shows who you are and what morals you were raised with!" she said.

"Well I don't have any parents! They are..." I screamed. It came out before I noticed it did.

"Why do you say that?" She said as her mouth formed into a evil grin.

"It's t-true," I said.

"Eliza have you ever been in trouble with the ministry?" She asked her eyes looking wide with mischievousness.

"I don't have to answer that," I responded.

"Do you have any siblings I can get your last name from?" she asked now actually laughing at the end of her sentence. She knew... somehow she had found out. I was supposed to be safe from people finding out about my true identity. What was going on?