Chapter Thirteen

Stacey

I sat there peering down at the tiled floors with sweaty palms and an even damper forehead. I felt completely useless sat in the waiting room with nothing to do. I could be in the ward right now, helping them to save my mother’s life - but instead I had been subjected to waiting here. The clock hung on the wall, mocking me with each tick. Time was slowly but surely dragging on, but I needed to be assured that mum was safe. I just needed to be given the green-light, and then I'll know. My leg had a mind of its own as it jittered continuously. I breathed deeply with my eyes wielded shut but it didn't help the extreme perspiration that I was experiencing. I felt a hand enclose me into a tight hold and released a weighty sigh. I opened my eyes to see Brian with a sincere expression on his face as his hand traced up and down my back - causing shivers to bolt down my spine and my back to arch.

"She's gonna be alright ya?" I nodded feebly and focused my attention back to the floor. I was grateful for Brian's presence. Who knows what would've happened if he wasn't able to drop us to the hospital with his car. Michelle sat there on the other end, texting the rest of the family about the shocking occurrence. She had her back hunched, eyebrows furrowed and a stiff upper lip. I've never seen her so worried before, it was evident the news had struck us all hard. I was mostly worried about her condition in terms of the baby. For her to be brutally attacked in such a state made the situation far much worse. I just hoped she was safe. I could hear Michelle's breathing from where I sat. She was more vexed than anything. I was bloody pissed yet I expressed it through tears - Chelle, however, made it known through raised voices and abuse. I was surprised by how calm she managed to remain, after all this time being sat here. I was expecting her to blow a hissy fit from when we first arrived in the car park. I had spoken to Linda, the nurse who had called the house phone earlier. She explained how critical my mother’s condition was, and mentioned something about some benign head injuries and a few scars on her arm. She never said anything about the baby though. That's my little sister in there, if anything has happened - I don't know what I'd do. I heard Michelle tut angrily.

"How fucking long does it take?" She said aloud as she tucked her legs beneath herself in the chair. She peered at her phone and tapped at it aggressively. I sighed and closed my eyes. I hadn't slept in like forever. How could I? When something as worrying as this surfaces, it's hard to get some shut-eye. My hair wavered about as Brian ran his hand through it. He rocked me gently, and managed to keep me warm.

"This is my fault," I muttered, "I should've gone with her. Maybe if I did, then nothing would've happened." He shushed me and rubbed my back.

"None of this is your fault. Don't blame yourself, things like this are out of your control." I sighed and nodded as I came to the realisation that he was right. Even if I was there, I'd probably be injured along with her. I'd rather something like this happen to me, not her.

"I just hope she's okay." I muttered.

"She will be." He assured. A few minutes later a female doctor emerged from mum's ward, holding a clipboard and writing down notes onto it. She peered up towards the three of us and cleared her throat.

"Stacey?" She asked, turning to Michelle.

"Here." I said raising my hand slightly.

"Oh yes," she advanced towards me, I left Brian's hold, "your mothers resting now, you may go in and see her." I swallowed hard.

"Is she okay?" She nodded and walked off. I turned back to Brian, who gave a weak smile.

"Go on," he urged.

"Alone?" He nodded. I stood up off the chair, knees buckling and head throbbing. Even so, that didn't stop me from entering the ward. Mum lay there in the hospital bed with her eyes barely open. Her body was covered by the thin white quilt, but the wires and needles were still visible as they remained plunged into her flesh and veins. Her face was pale, as were her lips. She looked bloody terrible, but I was grateful that she was even alive. I took a seat beside the bed, dragging it closer so I could get a better look. She adjusted her neck to ensure she was facing me, and then gave a little smile.