Chapter Sixteen

The meeting with the lawyer went surprisingly well. We managed to go over a variety of issues and what would happen during court. According to him, I should plead not guilty, as he was willing to be my defence. As a duty lawyer, he seemed extremely confident in clearing my name. He was aware of the situation and David's murder, also how it was an accident and nothing more. With the help of my auntie, I was able to prove the amount of wrong-doings I had suffered from him since the age of nine. He was very supportive and offered a great amount of help. It was a bloody tiring experience, but we went through a mass amount of documents as he explained the procedure of court. In all my life I never suspected I'd be the one having to undergo such a process, the thought was a little depressing. It was scary hearing of the penalties I may be imposed to if found guilty, whichaccording to himwasn't very likely. He claimed I was extremely lucky that I was not in custody until my court appearance. I wouldn't even count myself as lucky at this point.

We soon left the office and I exhaled deeply.

"That was so long." Aunt Pauline nodded in agreement.

"Don't worry, soon it'll be all over." I lowered my head and thought of my mum. I would have to call her later on to see how she was doing. It was bad enough that I had left her all alone back in Manchester; I kept dreading that the worst would happen to her without me being there to assist. I mean, what if she went into labour and no-one was around to help? Unfortunately, this court case was important, so I had no choice but to leave. The worst thing was mum had no idea that I was the cause of her boyfriends murder, nor was she aware that I would be in court based on the matter. She was so clueless; she figured I came back to London to see a few friends and that was all. It was so disgusting having to lie to her like this, but I wouldn't want her to worry. Besides, too much stress was bad to the baby. Aunt Pauline took me to Starbucks and we relaxed by the window seats to drink our beverages. My whole mind was clouded with worry; I couldn't help but think of the consequences if I were to ever be found guilty.

What would I do then?

"Chin up, love." I glanced up from my White Chocolate Mocha to smile weakly at Aunt Pauline. She was mum's eldest sister; extremely vibrant and beautiful for someone her age. She and mum were very close, and fell pregnant around the same time with me and Jessica. Aunt Pauline lived in France for a while with her husband, but soon moved to London once they split up. I was thankful that she believed my story about David and allowed me to stay with her for as long as I wanted.

"Sorry. I was just thinking," I muttered. She gave a sincere, motherly smile.

"I know you're worrying. Best thing to do is think positive."

"Kinda hard to think positive when the odds are against me." Her forehead creased and she tilted her head slightly.

"If anything the odds are in your favour. You have a strong defence and people like me and Jessica who believe you no matter what happens." I nodded and stirred my straw around like a spoon.

"I just hope mum is okay. I dunna what I'd do if she ever found out about this."

Aunt Pauline took another sip of her Caramel Macchiato. "I'm not going to lie to you, Stace. It's likely that she'll find out sooner or later. You're lucky that I'm able to be in her place for this case. Usually a parent must accompany a minor to court."

"I know I know." I sighed. "I have a feeling that if she ever found out she would never talk to me again."

"Nonsense! She loves you dearly. If you explained the situation and how it was an accident, she'd definitely understand." I grunted in response and continued drinking. One thing Aunt Pauline was unaware of is how madly in love mum was with David. She literally worshipped the ground he walked on, despite his heavy drinking problems. They had been together for a while, her whole persona changed whenever she was around him. It was upsetting to see her so hurt and distraught during his funeral. As much as I didn't wanna be there, I had to act natural and support her in her time of need. I wouldn't be surprised if she created a shrine of him in our living-room. That was how much she adored the fucker.