chapter thirteen

"Well it appears that most of the other bases have been captured or completely destroyed," I inform Zhong Hui, who hasn't said much since we resumed traveling. I begin to worry if he had been injured and I just hadn't noticed it yet.

"Master Zhong Hui?" I hesitantly inquire. He snaps his head towards me, posture trying to appear attentive, but his eyes don't portray the same emotion.

"Yes, my lady?" is his response, keeping his tone neutral.
"Are you feeling alright?"
"I am feeling quite alright, thank you."

I recoil at his bitter tone. I assume he notices because he quickly adds, "I'm fine. Why do you ask?" Instinctively curling my arms around my abdomen before remembering my injuries, I reply, "I was just worried. You haven't said a word since we've started traveling. I was scared you had injuries that you'd been neglecting." The corners of his mouth turn up in a barely noticeable smile, and I think I'm imagining the pink gracing his cheekbones.

"Like I said before, my lady, I am feeling fine. But I appreciate your concern."

I nod. "How are your wounds feeling?" Zhong Hui asks. "Do I need to replace your bandages yet?" I don't respond, as I'm too busy gazing upon a massive stone structure with jade green flags erected in front of it.

"I believe we have arrived at the main camp."

-------

As Zhong Hui reapplies bandages around my ribs, I attempt to assess how large the Shu fortress is. I give up just as Zhong Hui finishes wrapping the last bandage.

"Quiet! Do you hear that?" He places a hand on my shoulder, lowering me behind a cluster of bushes.

"What is it Master Zhong Hui?" I ask.
"Shh!" He hisses at me. His arm wraps around my shoulder and draws me into him, while still lowering me behind the bushes.
"Can you tell me what the commotion is for? What do you see?" I whisper back.
"You aren't going to like this..."
I sigh. "It's Shi isn't it?"
Zhong Hui nods. "Along with his brother, Master Jia Chong, and Master Deng Ai." He says Deng Ai's name with disgust.

I shake off Zhong Hui's grip on my arm to get a better look over the bushes. Unfortunately, he is correct, as my husband and his comrades stand off to the side as a huge ram approaches the gate.
"They're preparing for a siege..."
"Do you wish to fall back, my lady?"
I whirl my head towards Zhong Hui, somewhat offended.

"After all the work we've been through?! Absolutely not!" Zhong Hui frowns in response.
"At this point, I don't even care if Master Shi catches me or not! I'm proving myself today if it is the last thing I ever do!"
"My lady we shouldn't be making any rash decisions-"

I tune out Master Zhong Hui's pleading and scan the outer walls of the castle in order to find a way in without using the front gates.
"Aha!" A ladder stands propped up against the wall nearest to us.
"Thank you for everything you've done for me today, Master Zhong Hui," I tell him, gripping his hand.
"What-"
And with those last words, I take off at a sprint towards the ladder. Today, I prove my worth. Whether they like it or not.