Next Steps

Louis stayed up all night, staring thoughtfully out his bedroom window. He looked down at the lights reflecting from the street as tears built up in the corners of his eyes.

Louis was scared . He was so afraid of rocking the boat and potentially losing the person that meant most to him.

So instead of going to bed, he listened intently to the soft hum of summer in hopes that he might discover the strength he would need to face the next day.

Louis stayed up until that July night melted into an August morning. There was no time left.

Whether he felt ready or not, it was time to take the next step. Today Louis would tell Harry the truth.

~

The youngest boy was across the hall, snuggled in bed and thinking back to the day before.

It had been one of those days, the kind of days that Harry hated the most. He woke up with a feeling of dread; his anxiety was much more amplified than he was used to.

The feelings made no sense; the heaviness Harry felt in his chest often hit him at full force when he was least expecting it.

It wasn't anything he could control. In his fragile state, panic attacks came on quicker and easier, but Harry knew how to best avoid them. Bad days meant staying in bed, focusing on his breathing, and thinking about his happy place.

When Harry closed his eyes, his mind always went to Louis. He'd relive all of his treasured memories with the blue eyed boy and dream about what could be.

Those daydreams calmed Harry down and helped him
get through the tough times, but yesterday was different.

Yesterday, Harry didn't have to simply picture him and Louis together, this time he was in the boy's arms.

It was a comfort Harry had needed so desperately; Louis' gentle touch and warmth was undeniably healing.

The relief the curly haired boy felt was nothing short of breathtaking. Harry's heart swelled with gratitude, with adoration, with a love so true.

Louis was the missing piece to Harry's puzzle. He filled the empty space in his heart and made him feel whole again.

Harry sat up in bed, clutching his teddy bear to his chest. How could he continue on like this without ever telling Louis the truth?

As much as he adored the older boy, he couldn't prevent the feelings of doubt that crept in. Was it foolish to let himself fall in love with Louis again? Harry wondered.

Was it even possible that Louis could love him too?

~

"Good morning Tommo," Liam nodded to Louis as he came out of his bedroom.

"Morning," Louis bit the side of his cheek anxiously.

"You're up quite early, what's the occasion?" Liam laughed as he looked at the clock that read 8:30 a.m.

"I couldn't sleep last night, I've got a lot on my mind..." the boy trailed off as he wandered to the fridge.

"You wanna talk about it?" Liam put his cereal down with a concerned expression.

"No, I think I've got it under control, thanks Liam," he smiled and ruffled the boy's hair.