5- Shopping & Confession

I was still wondering if I was in dreamland or if everything that just happened with me and my dad was for real. Dad went to pee and when he came out of the bathroom he looked at me and smiled.

"Why don't you guys get dressed? We are gonna go out and before you object to anything Matthew, I just want you to know I never stopped loving you at all; it just got clouded by anger and I am still kicking myself for it."

"Dad, it is ok! Right now I am still processing that this just happened, but where are you taking us?" I asked him.

"We are going shopping Matthew, if you must know. I know it won't change or take away the pain at all but I wanna be the dad I was to my boys. I want to make this place comfy for you both and I was kinda hoping I could stay with you this weekend," he said with his head down after asking to stay.

"Dad you don't need to do this and you can stay if you want. I miss being around you and I always wanted Matai to get to know you. I will take the couch and you can share the bed with Tai," I told him but he was still adamant about shopping so we got dressed and he made me drive his car.

We pulled up at the furniture store and went in and Dad had Tai in his arms while I was trailing behind them. I have longed for the day to see my Dad like this with my kid and now that it is happening I still can't believe.

"Hey ummm I wanna know what you think about moving upstairs in your apartment to the larger units? I spoke to the person in charge and they are waiting for me to close on it" Dad asked Matai who nodded but, was looking at me the whole time and I felt like my body was on heat. I was getting emotional again for the second time today because my father keeps surprising me. He walked over with my baby boy in his hand still and stood before me waiting for an answer. I told him yes, but also reminded him he did not have to.

"Matthew you are my son and I love you and your brother more than anything in this world and now I have this little one that is apart of my whole being as well. Now quit worrying about stuff and just get anything you want or think Tai might want. Oh and I told your brother to come by for dinner on Tuesday night."

"Dad! Are you for real? You know that Mark hates me because I am gay. Why would you do that without asking me first? I don't want anymore problems; I have a kid to think about and I have been through so much; especially having my kid hear the names I have been called." I was getting a bit angry because I felt as if I was not given a say in the matter.

"Matthew that is your brother and he doesn't hate you because if he did, he would not have called me so much asking if you were doing good with the kid and all" he responded, that silenced me instantly.

After we found a new sofa which my father insisted I get because Matai liked it, we got a huge ass TV, three new beds and all the furniture needed to furnish a house. I knew my dad was rich and all but I did not want to abuse it or come across as a charity case. It seems as if he could tell what I was thinking because he came over and hugged me then whispered,

"You are my child! My little baby boy just as how Matai is yours. I love you no matter what and I was so wrong on many counts for hurting you. I have disappointed my wife for hurting you, I have been a horrible person to one of the kindest and most humble souls I know. Don't ever think anything is too much for me to give you, your brother and my grandson."

"Thanks dad for doing all of this. It is just a lot to take in because I never thought I would be able to get my dad back."

"Daddy can I get ice cream please?" Matai asked interrupting the momen even though he knew the rules about ice cream.

"Matai! Boy you know the rule about that already, besides I did not walk with any money." I reminded him about the rule but that did not stop him in his quest for ice cream.

"Grandpa may I have some ice cream please?" he asked my dad as he took him up. My dad nodded and then looked at me; before I could even get a word in he reminded me that I got my fair share of ice cream and I turned out ok. I couldn't help but chuckle, so after dad paid for all the shit we bought at the furniture store which should be delivered in the morning, we went to get ice cream.

"Grandpa I am going to Kyle's birthday party! Daddy said I could go" Matai was still excited about his friend's birthday party and so of course he told Dad about it. However, when he mentioned it I realized that dad kinda froze, I knew instantly something was up.

"What was that about just now?" I asked.

"What was what about?" he retorted.

"Just now, when Tai said he was going to the party you froze. Why?" I pressed.

"Matthew do you always have to see every little thing? Now, I am gonna be honest with you. I kinda called Kyle's dad and told him that if Matai was at the party I would make sure he doesn't get promoted because his boss is my friend" he said.

It felt as if I was punched in the gut and my son, my little baby boy was hurt as well because he held on to my leg after hearing what my dad just said. I just lifted my son in my arms and told him it was ok and that we will always have each other's back.

"Why would you do that to a child, your grandchild? He has never done anything to you! Fuck it, I have never done anything to you either! You fucking crossed the line Michael, now you are not only hurting me but you are hurting my son as well. Just take us the fuck home and leave!" I stormed off with my kid and went to my dad's car waiting on him to walk up to us and to open it.

We were on our way to my apartment when Matai broke the silence.

"Grandpa do you hate me and my daddy?"

I looked over at my father who looked stunned, hurt and defeated. He pulled over and looked to the back seat where Tai was seated in his car seat.

"Little prince, I love you with all my heart and what Grandpa did was wrong. I was mad at your father and I should not have done that ok. Now, I made sure to tell them that you should be at the party because all Kyle talks about is his buddy Matai from kindergarten." I knew dad was sorry because I have never seen my dad this emotional and this is the second time I am seeing this in one day. Now we are both even with two a piece.

"Ok Grandpa, I love you and thanks for getting me ice cream even though daddy said no." he smiled.

"No prob champ! Your Grandpa will give you the world if he can" he responded.

We continued driving and I was still silent because deep down I just want my dad back. I wanna be his little boy again and be protected by him and my big brother again. I was knocked from my feelings when my dad announced that we were home. I got out of the car and unbuckled Matai then took him out of the car and he ran over to my dad's door.

"Grandpa are you coming up with us? You said you were gonna stay" he questioned.

"No prince, your dad needs a little alone time with you so I will see you when your dad says I can come over."

Matai looked over at me and then asked the obvious question.

"Daddy can Grandpa stay with us again?"

"Sure bud, I want him to stay too because I am gonna miss him too if he leaves." I saw my dad smile and jumped out the car, he came over to me and grabbed me in a tight hug.

"It was the past and I won't do crazy shit like that again I promise" He kissed my cheek and then we went up to my apartment.

"I love you Matthew and I love you too Prince Matai" dad said while ruffling both our hairs.