2

When I opened the front door of my house the smell of fried bacon hit me. I walked into the kitchen to fine Kris had made me breakfast. "Thanks you."

"No problem sis." I sighed and tried not to think of the reaping ahead of us. I picked at my breakfast really not hungry. "I got us some beef for dinner. And some strawberries."

"Awesome."

I eat my food, hungry from the morning's activities.

"Come on let's go get ready."

I walked into my room and got out my mother's old dress. She always wanted me to have it. I was green and hung of my shoulders. It fell just below my knees. She always said it complemented my eyes. I picked up my favourite gold bracelet and put it on. If I was picked this would be my token. It was the last present I'd got from my mother so it was very special to me. Kris looked especially smart wearing a shirt and a jacket over the top. He looks so grown up but young and innocent at the same time.

The square looked so different from earlier, it was packed. Banners had been hung from buildings with the seal of Panem on. I turned and hugged Kris before I walked into the 'holding pen'. Our district escort, Valoria, walked onto the stage. She had bright blue hair and golden sweeping tattoos. In all fairness she scared me with her crazy Capitol style. "Welcome to the 70th Hunger Games reaping!" The Hunger Games were created after the districts rebelled against the Capitol. They are a reminder of how much loss was caused to the Capitol and the districts. "Now shall we begin? And may the odds be ever in your favour. Ladies first."

She put her hand into the girls reaping ball and picked out a piece of paper. She opened it and said the name into the microphone. "Fliss Barker." I stood there. It took a moment to sink in but when it did it took my breath away. I started to shake as people pushed me forward. I walked to the stage and took a deep breath. I would not look afraid even if I was petrified on the inside. I stepped onto the stage. I waited for someone to shot 'I volunteer'. Normally some people would jump at the chance to go in the games. This was the agreement. I think people were as shocked as I was. Our family has had a lot of bad luck. We are that one family that people avoid contact with in case our luck rubs off onto them.

"Now let's get on with the boys" Valoria said. At the very same moment I heard a cry of "I volunteer" from the crowd. Everyone had seemed to regain their senses. But it was too late. We'd moved on to the boys. The time to volunteer was over. I was stuck in the games.

house where I'�q4����