31

I can't keep the smile off my face.

He looks at my arm and starts to bind it. It's only now that I realise quite how light headed I am. I decide it's the blood loss but I'm not quite sure.

We sit down and have something to eat. Then we huddle together for warmth and wait for Crystal to die.

The night moves slowly, so many times I think it's over and it's not. I'm too scared to fall asleep; I'm afraid if I do I will never wake up. I keep shivering and there's nothing that I can do to stop it. That's not even the worst of it.

Accompanying the moan of the wind is the sickening sound of Crystal thudding against the cornucopia. Every so often she screams as the shark comes in for another attack. He is not killing her. He is playing with her. She must have wounds on her body as the water is a purple colour, but somehow she is surviving.

I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.

All the while Ash and I huddle together in the hopes that we will block out some of the horror. And try not to think of what the morrow will bring.

The sky starts to grey slightly and I am sure the sun will appear over the horizon soon.

"Fliss?" Ash says,

"Yeah." I whisper.

"Do you ever think she is going to die?"

"No one deserves that, not even her. The amount of pain she must be in."

"But what can we do?"

"There is one thing..."

I get up slowly and walk to the edge of the cornucopia. I feel the cold metal of my spoke in my hand. When the next wave brings her in, I will do it.

She rides forwards on the wave, a look of pain etched on her face. She is no longer the pretty girl from the interviews or the warrior in the arena; she is a normal person. No normal person deserves this.

I through my spoke, aiming for her head. The spoke makes its target and buries itself into her skull.

The cannon echoes around the arena.

The hovercraft comes and takes her away.

The shark, by some unspoken command swims off into the deep water. I am certain we won't see it again. They want Ash and I to fight it out. Break up the friendship. I mean who could turn away from their screens now?