15

"So Fliss, how are you liking the Capitol?"

"It is amazing. You see it on the TV all the time but nothing compares to seeing it in real life."

"Over the past few days you have definitely caught the eye of the nation. How do you feel about that?"

"I never would expected anything like that at all. I hadn't thought people would look twice at me and support the much fiercer tributes. I'm glad to see people haven't counted me out."

"We wouldn't dream of it. The first time that you really got our attention was at the reaping. How did it feel like?"

"At the reaping there is always fear, I think you have to understand that to fully appreciate it. Of course some people are really looking forward to the games and can't wait to get in. But there's still fear. You worry for your friends, for your family, for you. When my name was read out, it didn't sink in. It took me a few seconds to realise, it was me. I was shocked obviously and I think the district was too."

"How did you feel when you heard who the boy tribute was?"

"When I heard Kris' name my world came crashing down. Somehow I had managed to end up on the floor, sobbing. I tried so hard to look after my little brother and I failed. I couldn't protect him. It wasn't fair. Especially after the fact that my parents had died as well. I had always protected Kris from everything, until I couldn't. I'd failed." I felt tears prick my eyes.

"Then how did you feel when Ash volunteered?" Ceaser prompted.

"Relieved would be an understatement. Kris wouldn't have to face the games. I was also upset, not just that I couldn't protect my brother, but the fact that he was my best friend. I knew that he might die. I owe him everything." Ceaser nodded along and the whole audience was silent hanging onto my words.

"Any last feelings on the games?"

"Yes. I want everyone to know that no matter what happens I'm grateful for their kindness. Not just here in the Capitol, but at home to. I also want to say that I'm sorry to someone special at home, I'm sorry I pushed you away." I directed this last message to my aunt, she may not accept my apology, and I can't say that I mean it, but it will be my last change to ever apologise.

The buzzer sounds. "Fliss Barker of District 4." Ceaser says and I'm clapped back to my seat. As I pass Ash he glares at me and I feel a pang of sadness, maybe shutting him out wasn't the best idea. I sit down and turn to watch his interview.