3

I barley listened to the boys. I was still pretty shocked and I think the crowd was as well. It was always agreed if at all possible, a career would take my place. That's when I heard the name and my world came crashing down.

I didn't believe it at first but when I saw him start to move it hit me like a tonne of bricks. "Kris Barker."

Tears sprung to my eyes and a lump formed in my throat. A loud sob racked through my body and somehow I'd ended up sat on the floor. Why was life so unfair? I wouldn't care if it was just me, but my brother? It's just not fair. I sat there with tears running down my face. I would do anything to protect my brother. He had almost made it to the stage when a barely audible cry came from the crowd.

I can't have heard that correctly. I must be imagining things. But even so I looked up. Someone pushed Kris back into the crowd and ran up on stage. He said his name but I wasn't concentrating. I turned and shock his hand and gasped. Ash.

Before I had time to even to understand what was going on. I got taken into the justice building ready to say my goodbyes. I managed to stop crying. God I bet I look like a right mess.

My first visitor was none other than my brother. I hugged him tight in my arms. "Thank God you're ok." I whispered into his ear.

"I would have been ok."

"I'm so glad you're ok."

"I'm fine. I would have been fine."

"I wouldn't have forgiven myself if anything happened to you." I said whilst stroking his hair. I felt the hot tears starting to prick my eyes again. "Will you be ok here? You've got food for this evening and you can use my savings."

"Don't worry about me. What about you?"

"I'll think of a plan." I tried to say convincingly.

"You'd better. I can't lose you either Fliss."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Our time was up and he was taken from the room.

My next visitor was my childhood friend Kay. In the past we hadn't always seen eye to eye but we were close. I looked at her blue eyes and I was instantly transported back to the time when we first met.

I was swimming along the beach picking up oysters to sell on the black market. "What are you doing?" She asked accusingly.

"Nothing" I replied.

"Your taking oysters aren't you?"

"No I'm not"

"Yes you are"

"Ok I am but please don't tell anyone. I need to feed my brother."

"No don't worry I won't. I came to help you." So she slipped into the water with me and helped my collect what must have been my biggest haul. Her kindness shocked me, most people would be straight off to get the peacekeepers. If I get caught for this I would be shot for sure.

Kay stepped into the room and embraced me. Tears pricked my eyes again but I would not be weak. Our hug exchanged all the words we could never say to each other. It said 'I'm sorry you got picked' and 'your my best friend' and not forgetting 'you better come back'. "I have one question Kay."

"What is it?" She said with concern.

"Was it you who tried to volunteer?" She looked down and didn't meet my gaze. She sighed. "Yes... It wasn't fair. Kris needs you just like you need him. You've been through so much and I wanted to stop you having to go through this as well."

"Kay that's so sweet but you shouldn't think like that. You have so much going for you here."

"I don't care. I don't want to lose my friend."

"You won't lose me, I linger on like a bad smell." She chuckled. There was a knock on the door signalling time was up. A peacekeeper came in to take her away. "Please look after Kris for me!" I shouted.

"Of course."

My final visitor was someone who I didn't want to see.