32

I turn to Ash and look into his eyes and see my turmoil reflected there.

We can't kill each other.

I walk over to him. He opens his arms and I walk into them.

"One of us are getting out of here, Fliss. And it's going to be you."

"I'm not going to kill you. I can't."

He goes to pick up his spear but I knock it into the water with my foot. He gives me a look which reads a sarcastic 'well done'. I untie my spokes and throw then into the water too.

"Now what are we going to do?" He questions.

"I can't kill you." I repeat.

He sighs and sits down. "Now what are we going to do?"

Only one of us can survive. Only one person can be victor. But I can't live without Ash and I hope he can't live without me.

He doesn't understand that as much as he wants me to win I can't let him die for me. I own him too much. Honestly if anyone would be really affected by his death it would be me. Other people will get over it with time, I will be broken beyond repair. He saved my life and he saved my brother's life.

We both have to get out but they won't allow us both to come out alive.

Alive.

What if they think I am dead? Ash will be crowned winner and I would be 'dead'.

The poison!

It looks exactly like the sleep syrup.

They could say they managed to save me before the poison managed to stop my heart completely!

I grab my backpack and transfer the sleep syrup into a pouch similar to the one we kept the poison in. I do this in my backpack itself in the hops it will hide it from the cameras. I pull it out of the bag in a way that no one will miss it.

Ash gasps and has a look of pure horror on his face.

"Fliss... you ... you... can't"

"It's the only way." I say with an edge of desperation in my voice.

He pulls me into a hug. My mouth is now concealed from the view of the world.

Quickly I whisper into his ear: "Don't worry, it's the sleep syrup. They won't be able to tell the difference. This way we both escape, we both survive. I don't think you understand that I can't live without you."

"It's risky though Fliss."

"It's a risk I'm willing to take."

"Let me do it."

"No" I almost shout.

"I accused you of trying to kill me, this is the least I can do. This way if anything goes wrong I will get the blame."

"I'm not getting much choice in the matter am I? Your mind is made up."

"You ready?" He asks.

We break apart and he takes the syrup from my hands. Before I can do anything he swallows the contents of the bag. With a smile his eyes falter and he falls asleep. His cannon goes off around the arena.

"I love you too."