17

When we get into an elevator Ash turns on me. "Is this why you haven't spoken to me all day?"
"What?"
"So you don't upset Mr Special back home."

"What do you mean?" I ask

"'I also want to say that I'm sorry to someone special at home, I'm sorry I pushed you away'. Who's this Fliss, a secret boyfriend?"
"No, I was directing this at my aunt." I said a hurt and angry tone to my voice.

"Oh, I'm sorry," He tries to say calmly, "Why have you been ignoring me then?" He says with that hard tone to his voice.

"Do you really want to know?" I shout. We have now made it back to our floor and I back out of the elevator, not breaking eye contact with Ash.

"Yes I would actually." He shouts back.

"To make it easier."

"Easier?"
"In the arena. I like you Ash, I like you a lot. You're my best friend. I can't bear to see you die." By now I am at my room and I slam the door in his face.

I know I will have to face this again at dinner but for now I can shut it out. My feelings which I've been trying to block come flooding back, so much for that plan. I can only form one clear thought in the jumble that is my brain. Ash seemed jealous of the fact I may have had a boyfriend. I smiled to myself.

All too soon I had to go down to dinner. Ash avoids eye contact with me and I can't say I really mind. I stuff myself although the food leaves no impression on me, for all I care I could be eating cardboard. Then it comes to say goodbye. Laurette will be the only one accompanying me to the arena. I get a hug from Valoria. "Good luck Fliss." She says to me softly.

Mags comes up to me and pulls me into an embrace. I breathe in her scent. Even though I have only known her for a few days she feels a bit like a mother to me. "You can do it Fliss. Get a weapon and get water, you can survive." She lets me go with a squeeze of my hand.

Then I face Finnick. I give him a small smile and he chuckles. "I suppose we better hug now." I laugh as he pulls me in.

"I'm going to miss you."

"I know, it would be hard not to."

"You're so funny."

"You can do it Fliss."

"Don't just say that to try and make me feel better." I say.

"I wouldn't do that to you. I feel like you're going to be a good friend of mine."

"Like you would have been."
"Fliss, I expect to see you in a few weeks' time."

He turns and leaves the room. Ash looks at me for the first time that evening but I just smile and I walk to my room and try to fall asleep.

I lay in bed looking up at the celling. I don't know what the time is or how long I've been laying here but I know I haven't slept a wink. I get up and walk around but I can't stay in my room for long. I walk out into the lounge and I order a cold water. I then sit by the window looking out over the city sipping on my drink. I hear footsteps but I don't turn around, I continue to look out at the skyline, thinking what it would be like to be in a Capitol house tonight.

"Can't sleep?" I don't respond. "No me neither." He sits down opposite me and looks out of the window.

"Beautiful isn't it." I say

"Yes it is."

"It's also horrible at the same time."

"What do you mean?"

"Every single person in the Capitol is excited about tomorrow. It's like our deaths don't matter to them."

"The Capitol is atrocious isn't it?"

"Most despicable."

"What's keeping you up?" He asks me.

"Thinking of all the ways I could die. Kris seeing me die," then I take a chance, "you seeing me die." I say the last part quietly. He lifts my chin, so I'm looking him in the eye.

"That won't be a problem." He says. I start to object when he leans in and kisses me gently on the lips. I wasn't expecting that. His lips are warm and I slowly start to melt into the kiss. He pulls away and looks at me. Then he gets up. He walks down the hall. Back to bed I assume. I certainly can't sleep now. My mind keeps going back to that kiss. It seemed perfect, but bittersweet. It was almost like he knew it wouldn't happen again.