Chapter 6 : He's back

Alex's POV

"I...uh - actually I was...umm..." I kept stuttering in front of her. I didn't know how to answer her question. I mean, I was avoiding her because it's clear that she likes Stefan, and unfortunately he's my best friend. It hurts like shit, but I have to give her up. I will never steal something that's Stefan's. He's my brother that I never had. And God just had to play nasty with me and make the girl I love fall for my brother (from another mother). Woah! I just said the 'L' word, didn't I?

She then quickly replied, "Uh, that came out all wrong. You don't have to answer that..." maybe she saw how uncomfortable I was when she asked me that question out of the blue, but I had to give her some explanation. So as I mixed the pancake mixture in a large glass bowl that Ariel had given to me, I said "Actually, I have been busy. I was tired and cranky...and I didn't want to be rude with you, like I was with Stefan. So I thought better than to ruin whatever we have...idk rather ignore you till I was back to normal. I hope you don't mind that..." I said, avoiding her gaze, which was fixed on me.

She simply nodded, placing her gaze somewhere else, and the kitchen grew all silent again. I don't know what Stefan and Sienna were upto. They hadn't come out of the room yet, and I was already almost done with the pancakes. As I placed the perfectly cooked pancakes on the white plate Ariel had placed on the kitchen island, I saw Stefan and Sienna walk out of the room, Sienna with a masked expression while Stefan seemed hurt. Which was weird.

Ariel greeted them both with "Hey there, lovebirds! How was the chat?" Sienna whispered something to Ariel as her eyes free wide with realisation as Stefan sat down beside Ariel, his hurt still evident on his face. Ariel asked Stefan, "What's with the frown, Stefan? What's wrong?" Although I pretty much knew that Ariel already knew why he was like that.

As Ariel and Stefan started to talk, I started getting the whipped cream from its plastic container to a small bowl. Then I felt a presence beside me, I turned to find Sia eye-raping the pancakes. I smiled at her and said, "Sia, honey there's some drool on your bottom lip. Grab a tissue before it touches the floor" she simply shoved me lightly and smiled back. Then I asked her, "Weren't you in Ariel's room? Then how come you and Stefan came out together?" Her smile immediately vanished as she said, "He came and talked to me. He came to Ariel's room...and....and he apologied for what he did back then...I don't know what to do, Alex!" Her tone was high enough for me to hear but low enough to be inaudible to Ariel and Stefan.

I had no idea why Stefan had apologised to her, but looking at her broken down face, I simply said, "Sia, it's okay. It's gonna be fine. Give it some time..." And I patted her head, as I side hugged her. She simply nodded as she wiped a lone tear that escaped from her left eye. Someone cleared there throat from behind us and said, "Sorry to interrupt your chummy conversation. But some people need their breakfast here!" It was Stefan, ofcourse. And his tone was of clear jealousy. What I didn't understand was why did Ariel look unhappy too?

Sienna rushed towards Ariel and grabbed the seat next to her. Stefan's face clearly showed that he was expecting her to sit next to him, but she didn't. I placed the pancakes and whipped cream on the island table as Sienna and Stefan dived straight into it. Ariel stood up from the table to get the OJ when the door bell rang. I was about to go get it when she said "Alex, could you please get the OJ from the refrigerator while I see who's at the door?" To which I gladly nodded and went towards the fridge.

Ariel didn't come back for the next 10 minutes. Who was at the door anyway? I mean, who would come this early in the morning? And even if someone did, she'd either invite them in or come back in alone. What was taking her so much time to come back? Stephan and Sienna were too busy eating to notice that Ariel was missing for more time than required.