Chapter 8 : It's Official

Alex's POV

The dinner was as usual. Mum kept firing questions on how it happened and what Ariel saw in me that she accepted to be mine. They had a pretty good laugh over that one.
Ari seemed to have a really deep bond with my mum, which I assumed had to be a good sign, as I saw both of them discussing about my weird habits. Yeah, anything as long as my girlfriend and mother get along well.

After dinner, I pulled Ari into my room again. I didn't want to let her go yet, I didn't ever want to let her go at all. When she said she wanted to get home, I simply denied her that right. And my mum didn't mind Ari staying over as long as my bedroom door was open. As if we'd do something worth closing the bedroom door, so soon!
Ariel didn't argue much when I said she couldn't go home yet. I guess she knew how desperate I was spend time with her, talk to her and just watch her sleep.

We spent all night talking and making out. I think that's all that couples do when their parents are in the vicinity.
And we morning came over, I woke up to my beautiful girlfriend's sleeping face. She was breathtakingly beautiful. That's when i realise, I haven't really asked her to be mine, officially. I thought about what i should do as I swiftly swiped a few strands of her hair that were falling on her face, with my finger, away from her eyes. She mumbled something in her sleep and then her eyes fluttered open. She seemed a bit surprised to see me at first, but then he relaxed as she cuddled her face into my neck. God! How I loved when she did that! It was like she wanted all my attention, which I'd give her even if she didn't ask for it.

She then mumbled, "This is the second best night's sleep I've had in my entire life" I asked her why, when she replied, "Alex, I'm an insomniac. I can't sleep, even if I do take sleeping pills. It's my disease" she said as she rested her chin on my chest and looked at me through hooded eyes.
I asked her, "Insomniac? But that means you can't sleep at all. But you did sleep last night, right? I mean, you just woke up...and that time when I was dead drunk and on your bed, thanks to Stefan, I saw you waking up that day too..." she simply smiled and said, "That's because of you...you're the reason I sleep like a baby now. I can fall asleep almost anywhere, if I have you here by my side. As cheesy as it sounds, your like the cure for my insomnia" and then placed a soft, lingering kiss on my lips. I couldn't help but groan as I wanted more of her lips, more of her.

But she quickly got out of bed and went towards the bathroom. Once she came out, I asked her, "Princess, you didn't tell me who that letter was from?" And all her happiness seemed to have drowned out through the gutter. "Alex, please can we not talk about it now...?" She pleaded. But wanted to know who was scaring her so much so I said, "Ariel, you're mine now. Completely. Which means we share our feelings and problems. Which also reminds me, I haven't really kept an official proposal at your feet to be my girlfriend, so today after school, get ready I'm taking you out" the last part made her smile. But then I asked again, "Now tell me, Ariel. I have got to know..." she knew what I meant so she came and sat next to me on the bed again, taking my hand and wrapping it around herself as she said, "You're not gonna like this very much...okay?" I nodded eagerly, telling her it was fine, that I could take it. She leaned into me even more, if that was even possible as she started.

"This happened 2 years from now. I was a usual 14 year old girl, going to school and doing everything normal. Then I met this guy, he was 2 years older than me. His name was Harry. He was so caring the starting few months. I fell for him instantly. When my friends were at movies with their boyfriends, of their age. I was at an underground club, cheering for my older boyfriend as he fought for the money. At first, everything seemed fine. But one day, he came home drunk and bruised. When I asked him what happened, he simply shrugged me off and fell asleep on the couch. I cleaned up his wounds and gave him a blanket. This was the first time of many such scenes. One day I for fed up of his bruises and asked him, when he didn't answer, I yelled at him and asked for a clear answer. He simply turned towards me, glared at me and then slapped me hard. I still remember how it hurt, emotionally more than physically. But then the physical abuse increased day by day. Some days, I'd have bruises all over my face. Some days, my wrist would be broken, some days my ribs were bruised. One of my teacher's noticed my bruises one day and called up my aunt. When she realised It was Harry who did this to me, she instantly filed a report against him, for child abuse and attempted murder, when she saw bruises on my neck too. And then we moved here. The last I heard of Harry was he was sentenced to 8 years of prison, and that he was mentally unstable. Now I get this letter from him, out of nowhere. But I'm sure it's him..." she said and then wiped the tear off her cheeks. I felt like I should have come here earlier. I should have been there for her, I should have fighted for her. She's so fragile, so small, so innocent. How could someone even think of harming her?