Chapter 4

I woke up before my alarm went off. I went into the bathroom and saw I had clear circles under my eyes. I didn't care though. I splashed my face with cold water and pulled on a fresh shirt and jeans, walking downstairs tiredly. I ran a hand through my flattened hair to spike it before grabbing a sandwich from the fridge. I stopped and stared down at it before replacing it. I didn't even want to eat today.
I picked up my keys and walked out into the crisp morning air. Despite it being summer the breeze from the sea made the air cold and damp. A low mist clung to the ground as I opened the car door and backed out of the driveway. I blinked at the foggy windshield before flipping on the wipers and letting them clean off the dew. I shut them off again and made my way to the aquarium. The sun wasn't even up yet.
I pulled into the empty parking lot and parked the car, getting out. I rubbed my tired eyes and unlocked the door, disabling the alarm. I walked into the infirmary and flipped on the lights, looking at Eridan's sleeping form. I sighed, watching him happily.
"MOVE FUCKASS!"
I jumped and tripped over a tray, landing on the floor and getting the wind knocked out of me.
Karkat stared at me from the doorway while I stared at the ceiling.
"SORRY," he muttered after a while.
"Iit2 fiine." My voice was soft. "Ii ju2t don't want to get up."
"Mm.... Wwhat's goin' on here?" Eridan muttered, rubbing his eyes and looking up.
I propped myself up on my elbows and waved slightly.
"MORNING ERIDAN. YOU FEELING OKAY?"
"Better, thanks." He looked at me curiously.
I sighed heavily.
"COME ON SOLLUX YOU CANT LAY THERE FOREVER."
"Ii can mope about my dad forever."
"DONT EVEN BRING THAT INSUFFERABLE ASSHOLE INTO THIS!"
"Iit2 fiine KK." I forced a smile.
He frowned, obviously not buying it.
I got to my feet. Eridan slouched tiredly in the tub.
"I'LL TAKE CARE OF THE FUCKING MESS YOU LEFT CAPTOR." Karkat glared at me.
I shrugged. I tried to walk past him to check on Eridan but he grabbed my arm and turned me violently towards him and his tiny frame.
"I SWEAR CAPTOR IF I HEAR ANOTHER LIE COME OUT OF THAT STUPID PIE HOLE OF YOURS YOU ARENT GOING TO LIKE IT. AND FUCKING JEGUS MAN GET SOME SLEEP. YOU LOOK LIKE SHIT."
I shrugged him off and resumed checking in on Eridan. Once I was finished he fell asleep and I left to get my list of jobs from Kanaya, who had arrived by this time.
Later that day half the staff was taking their lunch break. I sat beside Eridan's tub, reading a book on my phone.
His water sloshed slightly and I lifted my head. He looked at me tiredly.
"Hey Sol."
"Hey Eridan."
"Wwhy are you here?"
"Ii'm on break."
"Shouldn't you be eating?"
"Ii diidnt briing anythiing to eat."
"Howw come?"
"Ii forgot." Lie.
"Wwhy'd you forget?"
"Woke up late." Lie.
"You wwere wworking too hard yesterday wweren't you?"
"No." Lie.
"Oh. Wwell then wwhy'd you wwake up late? Did something bad happen?"
"Nah. Ii ju2t forgot to 2et an alarm." Lie. Lie.
"You came here really early though."
"Ii u2ually get up around one or two." Lie.
"Wwhy do you look so tired today?"
"Ii wa2 up late chattiing wiith my friiend2."
"Oh." He sat back.
"You feeliing okay?"
"My tail hurts."
"Do you want me to look at iit?"
"Yeah."
I stood up, swaying dizzily, before making my way over to his long purple tail. It looked like a series of amethysts, shimmering every time it moved gracefully over the white porcelain of the tub. An ugly grid pattern was marked into the luscious scales, ruining the beautiful effect.
I quickly pulled myself out of staring at it and inspected the marks. They were surrounded by an ugly violet color- well kind of. I assumed it was supposed to be ugly but the color was too pretty to be thought of as ugly.
"Ii have 2ome oiintment Ii thiink wiill help.... Do you want iit?"
He nodded. I got to my feet and grabbed the bottle, squeezing some onto my hands and rubbing them together. I started to massage it slowly onto Eridan's tail. After he shuddered from the new feeling on his scales, he relaxed. I felt his tail practically melt under the touch.
I smiled at him and he smiled back.