Chapter 5

That night everyone except me left early. I was left to feed the animals, clean the tanks and organize the check in for visitors. I finished the other stuff first and sat at the computer. It was 9:30. I stretched slightly before my fingers started flying across the keyboard as I looked through the list of names. I organized them effortlessly and finished what a moron would have taken two hours to do in two minutes. I powered off the computer as I stood up. I shut off all the lights and checked in on Eridan one last time, who was asleep with a smile on his face, before locking up and heading home.
I frowned as I saw the twenty or so cars at my house. I pulled up down the block and walked to my house, music blaring from the yard.
I opened the front door and stared in shock and the nearly a hundred people inside the house. I then mentally smacked myself. Of course! It was Mituna's birthday today! Wow some brother I was!
I slowly walked to the kitchen in search of the birthday boy. Everyone knew we were twins but no one ever celebrated my birthday. Anything over the top like that gave me a headache.
He was sitting on the couch with Kurloz on one side and Lutula, his girlfriend, on the other.
I ruffled his hair slightly. "Happy biirthday Tuna."
He smiled up at me and I smiled back before going to the kitchen to get some water and then retreat to my bedroom for the night.
I saw Karkat, Terezi and Kanaya standing around the fridge. I waved at them as they greeted me before going back to what they were talking about. I was in the middle of getting the water out of the fridge when my dad stormed up to me. Most of the people fell quiet and the others quickly caught on.
"2OLLUX CAPTOR!" He screamed.
I flinched and turned. "Hey dad."
"DO YOU REALIIZE HOW MANY TIIME2 YOU HAVE FUCKED UP TODAY?!"
I looked at Mituna, who was grinning evilly.
"YOU DIIDNT 2AY HAPPY BIIRTHDAY TO YOUR BROTHER THII2 MORNIING, YOU LEFT WIITHOUT 2AYIING ANYTHIING AND YOU DIIDNT GET MIITUNA A GIIFT!"
Kanaya and Karkat were staring at me wide eyed and Terezi looked totally calm.
"Ii-Ii'm 2orry dad iit ju2t 2liipped my miind-"
He slapped me across the cheek. My head hit the fridge and I slid down to the floor, dropping the glass of water.
There was a collective gasp and Kanaya had her phone out, probably calling the police or something.
"THII2 II2 THE LA2T TIIME II HEAR A WORD OUT OF YOUR MOUTH FOR THE RE2T OF THE NIIGHT! YOU ARE A 2AD EXCU2E FOR A BROTHER AND AN EVEN 2ADDER EXCU2E FOR A 2ON!"
I looked up at him, tears in my eyes before I bolted out of the doorway, shoving past Karkat roughly. I slammed the door to my car and tore down the streets, as far away from the house as I could get.
My eyes and cheek stung horribly. My chest and stomach hurt and the back of my head ached. I screeched to a stop at a light, gripping the wheel so hard my hands hurt. I stared at the lights as they slowly got blurry from the tears in my eyes.
I released my hold on the breaks and turned on my blinker, slowly driving out into the empty intersection. I stared to the right, not noticing the giant truck swerving towards me to the left.
Not until it was too late. It T-boned the door beside me, blasting me with metal and glass as the headlights shone through the torn door. It hit my side, causing pain to shoot through me like fire. The engine exploded in my face, causing flames to engulf the fabric beside me. I coughed horribly, struggling and failing to get my seatbelt undone as my car flipped over once, twice, three times, and then hit the pole. I heard bending metal and sirens over the crackling of the fire around me. I collapsed onto the concrete beside me through the broken window, blood pouring from cuts, skin scorching and vision slowly fading to black.