Chapter 13

As the weeks progressed and school started up again, everything seemed perfectly fine. I applied and got a permanent job at the aquarium so I could make some money to support my new family. I learned that they- we- got funding from the government since Karkat's dad had died in the army. Kankri was waiting until Karkat was the right age so he could go back to school.
Everyone thought I was okay. I smiled when I needed to, laughed when I needed to, followed social cues.
But inside, everything started to get worse and worse. I started cutting on my stomach so people couldn't see. I wouldn't go to pool parties and whenever I saw my dad or Mituna I had a mental breakdown.
I sat at the kitchen table with my trigonometry homework, depressed. I had become a pale, skinny person of a teenager.
"HEY SOLLUX WE'RE GOING TO THE MOVIES. WANNA COME?"
"No thank2."
"Fine. Keep w9rking 9n y9ur TRIGGERN9METRY!" Kankri snickered.
"LETS GO FUCKASS." He shoved Kankri out the door.
I did my homework for another few hours before I set my head on my arms, crying softly. I couldn't take this anymore. It was too much.
I hadn't done anything wrong and yet I wasn't even with my biological family. I was done. I was over with this.
I got to my feet and trudged into Kankri's room. I pulled the safe out from under the bed and slowly typed in the passcode. It popped open and I pulled the shotgun out of it. I picked it up and walked into the bathroom, shutting and locking the door. I looked at myself in the mirror- my ugly, demented self, for a long long time. I pulled the gun up from where it was at my side. I turned off the safety, cocked it, and placed my finger on the trigger, holding the barrel to my temple.
The scrawny kid before me slowly grew blurry in front of my vision. Distantly, there was a frantic knocking on the door and the shaking of the doorknob.
"SOLLUX SOLLUX OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR OPEN IT NOW GODDAMMIT SOLLUX OPEN UP PLEASE!" The rattling got more frantic.
"Here I g9t the key!"
I tried so hard to pull the trigger but I couldn't. The moment the door slammed open I dropped the gun. It clattered to the ground and I fell to my knees, sobbing uncontrollably.
Karkat came forward and crouched beside me while Kankri ran off, probably to call hospital or something.
"Ii can't take thii2 anymore KK...."
"SOLLUX GODDAMMIT YOU SCARED ME." He wiped tears from his eyes. "IMAGINE WHAT EVERYONE WOULD THINK IF YOU WERE GONE."
I paused before collapsing into his outstretched arms, shaking and sobbing.
"SHHHHH," he murmured, slowly rubbing my arms. "EVERYTHING IS OKAY NOW."
I cried myself to sleep in my brother's arms.