Chapter 6

I woke up surrounded by something soft, much softer than what I remember falling asleep on. As I slowly came to my senses I noticed other things. The brightness behind my closed eyes, my lack of glasses or proper clothing, a loud beeping noise in the background...
And the pain. The pain was unbearable. It was torture. My entire right side stung, my left side burned and everything ached painfully.
I tried to move my arm- that's all, move my arm- and screamed in pure agony as a caterwaul of alarms went off.
"Please remain calm sir you're going to be okay," a stranger voice comforted through the din.
I couldn't see anything through the tears in my eyes. I couldn't remember what had happened, but whatever it was it had nearly killed me.
After a while the pain went away and I could only assume that the nurses had put numbing medicine into my system. I opened my eyes weakly and stared at the white ceiling.
Someone stated to move the upper half of the bed to a sitting position and I looked around from my immobilized area.
I was in a hospital room with three or four nurses. The door was slightly ajar and the windows were open. It looked like it was around 11 or 12 in the morning.
"aH mR. cAPTOR. iTS GOOD TO SEE YOU AWAKE." The doctor made his way in slowly.
"Good morniing, Dr. Niitram," I greeted.
He smiled at me slightly. "hOW ARE YOU FEELING TODAY?"
"Horriible."
"aS EXPECTED, SADLY."
"What happened?"
"cAR CRASH. yOU WERE T BONED AT THE INTERSECTION OF sOSSAMAN AND mAIN."
I sighed heavily.
A nurse stuck her head in. "Doctor, the patient appears to have some visitors."
"iS THAT SO? sEND THEM IN."
I blinked as Mituna, Kanaya and Karkat all appeared in the doorway, appearing worried and out of breath.
"50LLUX 50LLUX Y0UR3 OK4Y!" Mituna cried, rushing to my bedside.
I smiled weakly. "Hey Tuna..."
"D4D 15 R34LLY UP537."
"For what, uppiing hii2 mediical biill?"
"WELL THAT...." Karkat rubbed the back of his neck.
"He's Also Quite Mad About The Car."
"At me?"
"Y34H."
I sighed, upset by this. "Iit wa2n't my fault."
"iT CERTAINLY WASN'T. tHE OTHER DRIVER, aRADIA, i BELIEVE HER NAME WAS, WAS HORRIBLY DRUNK AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT."
"Is She Okay?"
"iM AFRAID SHE DIED ON IMPACT."
"GOOD! THE LITTLE MOTHERFUCKER DESERVED IT!"
"Karkat We Didn't Even Know Her."
I was staring at my legs, which were hidden underneath the sheets, and Mituna was gripping my hand.
"Oh Yeah! Sollux I Have Something For You." She pulled a laptop out of her book bag and set it gingerly on my lap, opening it.
I frowned at the asleep screen for a while as it warmed up before turning on. Skype was open and there was already a call on.
"Hey Eridan? You There?" Kanaya called into the camera.
There was some splashing before Eridan's head appeared on the screen.
I couldn't help but smile.
"Sol!" He cried, ear fins flapping.
"Hey Eridan. How you doiing?"
"Good! You?"
"Ii'm hangiing iin there."
"Kan said I'm going to be in a tank by the time you get out of the hospital."
I grinned. "Really?"
"Mhm! I'm excited!"
"Ii am too. How ii2 your taiil feeliing?"
"It's better. My scales are starting to heal too. See?" He flipped over and waved his tail at the camera. You could barely tell how much damage there was.
I suddenly frowned and looked at the doctor. "How long have ii been out?"
"uM...."
Eridan's face fell on the other side of the screen. Karkat looked angry, Kanaya upset and Mituna buried his face in my shoulder.
"Cmon ii haven't been out for liike a year! .... Have ii?"
"oH HEAVENS NO! bUT IT HAS BEEN ALMOST.... fIVE WEEKS NOW?"
I sighed and sat back.
"You've Slept Half Your Summer Away."
There was a knock at the door.
"cOME IN."
It slammed open and Kanaya caught the laptop which had slid off my legs when I jumped.
My dad stormed into the room and tears pricked my eyes as he towered above me. Kanaya was holding the laptop with the camera facing us, in too much shock to move it.
"YOU ARE A DI2GRACE TO THE CAPTOR FAMIILY YOU U2ELE22 CHIILD!" He screamed.
"mR. cAPTOR SIR MAY i ASK YOU TO-"
"DONT GET IINVOLVED IIN 2OMETHIING THAT II2NT YOUR BU2IINE22!"
The doctor fell silent.
He turned back to me. "II THOUGHT YOU WERE 2MART ENOUGH TO WATCH WHERE YOU WERE DRIIVIING! OR DIID YOU LIIE TO ME ABOUT DRIINKIING?!"
"Ii don't driink dad!" I protested, tears spilling onto my cheeks. "We've been over thii2 before!"
"WELL II GOTTA MAKE 2URE YOURE NOT LYIING TO YOUR FATHER! OR DO II NOT MEAN ENOUGH TO KNOW THE TRUTH?!"
"WHEN YOU SLAP YOUR SON OVER BEING FORGETFUL I DONT THINK HED WANT TO TELL YOU ANYTHING!" Karkat snapped at him.
My dad turned to retort but the guards arrived and dragged him away.
"THII2 CONVER2ATIION II2NT OVER 2OLLUX! U2ELE22 CHIILD!"
The room was silent for several moments before I broke down sobbing.
"Sol...." I heard Eridan say from the laptop.
"i THINK IT WOULD BE BEST IF WE LET sOLLUX REST FOR A WHILE," the doctor suggested softly.
Karkat nodded, shaking in anger. Kanaya left the call for me and guided the shaking anger bomb out of the door. Mituna hugged me before following them.
The doctor wheeled up beside me. "wILL YOU BE OKAY? dO YOU WANT ANYTHING?"
I weakly rubbed the tears off my cheeks. "Ii'll be fiine 2iir. Ii ju2t want to 2leep riight now."
He nodded in understanding and lowered my bed again, wheeling out and shutting off the lights, closing the door.
I cried myself to sleep.