4. Team...?

*Reader's POV*
My eyes shoot open; the moment I awaken, my sleepiness is replaced with excitement. Orientation is today! I get to be put on a team! Without bothering to look at the time first, I jump out of bed and get dressed. Putting a bandage over my eye and fixing my hair are also part of my morning routine, and once I'm done I grab an apple on my way out the door. Stopping once outside, I notice the early morning light, and realize that it's a bit too early to head to class right away. I guess I was too excited..

Since I'm early, I head to the training grounds. There I see Duckbutt and Destiny-Is-Me there so I sit cross legged and watch them train separately as I take another bite of my apple. A man in a green jumpsuit runs past and starts to kick a tree yelling that if he couldn't kick the tree one thousand times he would do two thousand push-ups. What intense training.. I finish my apple and throw the core in the grass somewhere. Then, I stand up and stretch once the others start to move toward the school, and follow suit.

*Neji's POV*
"So, you have the Byakugan? What's it like?" (Y/n) inquires as they approach me.
"What?" I scowl, then pause before continuing, "Tch. If I were you, I'd be focusing on my own Kekkei Genkai." I notice them narrowing their eyes at me, and looking as if they wanted to protest, but they kept their mouth shut.

*Reader's POV*
I guess I can't say anything, I don't want him to know quite just yet.. I glare at him for a moment before pulling away to walk by myself to the academy. How stuck up can one person be? On my way, I'm knocked out of my thoughts as I spot Shino.
"Oh, hey Shino!" I smile sweetly.
"Hi, (Y/n)."
"Hey, listen, you don't need to confess-if you ever were going to. I know what you did so it's fine."
"....."
"Yeah. About that whole following-me-around-while-I-was-with-Kiba thing."
"........"
"So it's all good, I knew you were eavesdropping. Though, maybe next time you try and stalk me you can just ask to hang out."
"..................."
He looks uncomfortable and I see beads of nervous sweat beginning to form.
"So...you're not mad?"
"Whoever said I was mad?" I wave a hand dismissively.
He looks relieved.
"Then again, whoever said I was not mad?"
He returns to looking nervous.
I sigh and look at him pointedly, "Really, though, next time ask."
He nods hurriedly so I can tell he understands, then mutters, "..I'm sorry."
I can't help but give in—besides, I know by now he's not the best with social interaction, but he tries his best. "Alright.. I forgive you." I chortle, and as I give his shoulder a gentle pat, we both continue the walk to the academy.

I walk over and sit in my seat. Shino is here, but not in his seat, so the seat next to me is empty but in the third chair sits Hinata.
"Hi, Hinata," I say gently, trying not to scare or intimate her.
"O-oh..Hi (Y-y/n).."
"Um, Hinata? May I ask you a favor?" She looks surprised and her eyes widen, but nevertheless she nods timidly, then looks down and plays with her fingers.
"It's okay if you don't want to, but would you be willing to train me?" She looks up at me, doubt, bewilderment, and a spark of wonder mixed in her lavender eyes.

"O-oh....A-are you sure you want m-me to t-train you...? I-I mean...I will but, why me?"
I smile and lean closer to her,"I have a secret. I can tell you now if you want." Again, she looks surprised and plays with her fingers more.
"Er..sure..?"
The next time I speak, it's much softer so only Hinata can hear, "Well..." I pause for dramatic effect, then, "I have the Byakugan."
I can tell it takes her a moment to process, because of the blank stare that temporarily crosses her features, then, suddenly, she gasps and falls onto the floor. I blink at her as everyone turns to look at us.
"Uh...no worries everyone! She just...slipped?" I wave my hands frantically. Everyone mutters to one another then turn back and continue their previous conversations.
"Er, you need help Hinata?" I jump over the chairs and land next to her, "Hinata?"
I wave a hand in front of her face. She doesn't respond. Just then Neji walks in. A few second later, Shino approaches and I sigh in relief.
"Hey, Shino! Help?" He walks over and bends next to Hinata.
"She's fine." He states simply. I feel my eye twitch and pout at the bug boy.
"She just fainted! I know it's not fatal but shouldn't we at least take her to the nurse's office?" He stands up and looks down at me through his glasses.
"She's fine." I see the nearest desk and do a face plant on it.

**TIME SKIP BROUGHT TO YOU BY HINATA FAINTING, GIVE A THANKS AND A ROUND OF APPLAUSE TO THE WONDERFUL FAINTING HINATA!**

*Reader's POV*
It seems like all of the students arrived early, so it feels like forever has passed when Iruka-sensei FINALLY comes in to start the class.
"Okay, class. I'll get straight into it- today we are assigning teams. Team one...." I sigh in boredom, folding my arms on the desk and resting my head on it. I don't hear a single familiar name until he gets to team seven.
"Team seven, Naruto Uzumaki." He announces. I look up, curious to see who's on Naruto's team.
"Sakura Haruno." Naruto fist pumped and shouted excitedly as if he was just made Hokage. I glanced at Sakura, wanting to see her reaction. She was sulking with her face on the desk muttering "I'm doomed." I rolled my eyes. Then Iruka-sensei announced the last member of the team, "...and Sasuke Uchiha." I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing I didn't want him on my team. "Hooray!" Sakura cheered as she and Naruto switched places, so he was now sulking and muttering "I'm doomed.."

Iruka-sensei carried on, announcing team eight as Hinata, Kiba, and Shino. The three people I wanted to be with the most! Besides Naruto, of course... Becoming a bit distracted, my eyes wandered around the classroom until movement caught my eyes and I looked toward Sakura as she turned to make a peace sign at Ino. Ino glared and growled.
"How did you get in his group!?" Ino balled her fists, about to explode. Shikamaru, who now sat by Ino instead of the back, intervened—though his expression looked uninterested. The conversation went on for a while until Ino ended it (or tried to) by saying:

"You are so full of yourself. Jealousy's a terrible thing. I'd hate to be on your squad." I almost lost it when Iruka-sensei called out, "Now squad ten. Ino Yamanaka, Shikamaru Nara.." Ino gasped.
"Heh!" Shikamaru smirked, "did you say something about hating to be on my squad?" Ino looked infuriated as Iruka-sensei continued, "and Choji Akamichi."
The one called Choji was stuffing his face with chips as Ino placed her hands on her head looking bewildered. "And those are all the squads."

Wait, what? I was about to speak up when Naruto erupted.
"Iruka-sensei! Why does a great ninja like me have to be in the same group with a slug like Sasuke!?"
It was only after Naruto's outburst, Iruka's explanation, and the teasing died down that I could finally speak. Except, Iruka-sensei was trying to continue his lecture.
"AHEM. After lunch, you'll meet your new Jo-" I shot my hand up, getting a bit frustrated at being forgotten.
"Iruka-sensei! I graduated, shouldn't I have been put on a squad as well?" I stated firmly. Iruka-sensei looked at me for a moment, then nodded to me. Now the whole class's attention was on us.
"Of course, (Y/n). Sorry about that, I planned to talk to you after class but you're right, you deserve to know now. The thing is, we don't have one assigned squad for you. That means you will be on multiple squads."
I tilted my head.
"What?"
Everyone started to mutter.
"You will be on several squads, (Y/n). Let's see..."
He looked down at his paper.
"You will be assigned on squads seven, eight, ten, and Team Guy's squad."
"How...will I be on all of their squads?"

The class was whispering in confusion.
"You'll be with one squad for a time period then switch to another for another time period. Of course, the time periods won't be equal, some longer some shorter, but we will try to keep it the same. Whenever it's time for you to switch to the other squad, we will inform you. You were the only option for this because you come from outside the village and only joined the academy a few days ago, even though you still graduated. Apologies for the inconvenience, but I think you'll do just fine."
Feeling a bit troubled, I slowly let my hand down after realizing I had had it up the whole time, then nodded to Iruka in understanding.
"Oh, and (Y/n)?"
"Yes, Iruka-sensei?"
"You will be with Team Guy for today."
"Alright."
-------------------------------------------------------
A bit of a shorter chapter! Please note that, for this book, Neji, Tenten, and Lee are the same age and graduated the same time as the other teams.
As usual, I love all my readers! Thank you!
~Love, Lemon <3