Chapter 5

"Am I the only one who sees reason now?" I asked incredulously. Robert had said it was perfectly fine to keep the tank with us. In his words it was more protection for us. Why didn't they see where I was coming from with my argument? I wasn't going to deny the fact that the tank did offer more protection. But at the same time it was what was putting us at risk in the first place. 

"We can see what you're talking about!" Oscar yelled, his voice cracked and I stifled a giggle. He cleared his throat and rubbed his neck a little in embarrassment. 

"I am not going to stand here and be treated like a dumbass. I know what I'm talking about! In the end, this tank will bring death to us. Yes, it may protect us, but it will also bring death." I hissed and then stalked away from the group. I let out a long breath and picked up a rock from the rode. I threw it as far as I could manage. I felt my anger beginning to lift a little so I decided to throw another rock. I heard footsteps and then turned to see Wyatt standing beside me. All of a sudden I felt my body tense up again and I was filled with annoyance. Why couldn't he just leave me alone? 

"Thank you for saving my buns back there." he said slowly. 

"I was only doing what needed to be done to protect the rest of the group," I said and looked up at the sky, to stare at the non-existent clouds. 

"Still, I would be dead if it hadn't been for you."

"You're making it seem like I was the only one fighting to protect you. Robert was there. So was Oscar, Andy did his share."

"They would have just left me, but since you decided to jump in they joined. They may not act like it but in the end they are loyal to you and they listen to you. I can see that."

"At the moment they are acting like total dicks." I mumbled. 

"Let them keep the tank-"

"UGH! Not you too!" 

"Let me finish." he said stiffly. "Let them keep the tank until we get to Vegas. By tomorrow we should reach the city, give them those rules to follow and trust me they will listen then. They are probably just doing this to get on your nerves."

"What even makes you think you're right?"

"Because..." he said slowly and then looked away with a pained expression. "It's what I used to do with my sister Kimmy." he mumbled and then walked away quickly. I heard him cursing to himself and I was filled further with confusion. Wyatt seemed like someone who would be hard to figure out. I breathed out slowly and then nodded to myself.

"You're going to do this." I said to myself out loud and turned around to head back to Oscar and propose the idea.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Oscar agreed to my arrangements. Seems like once again Wyatt pulled through. Everyone was excited and on edge. We were reaching Vegas now, the dream was becoming real. We didn't know what was going to meet us there. Maybe, hopefully, possibly it would be deserted. Doubtful. We were just hoping for a place to rest our heads for a while. I was actually tempted to head back to the farm house but there was just too much memories there. Too much loss and pain. Backtracking now would be a horrible idea. Night began to slowly descend and once again we were surprised at how quickly a day could come to an end. Especially a day that had been so full of action and suspense. The campfires were set up by the cars and people brought out some cans filled with soup. We were surviving off of canned food. Luckily there was also frozen food, We had a mini fridge which we kept plugged into one of our vans. The RV fridge was packed with drinks. Mostly all water bottles and a few cans of soda that no one drank unless it was a special occasion. We had to make everything last and even though a cold coke sounded really good at the moment no one made a move to grab one.