Chapter 13 - Confrontation

Teiko Middle School (Two years ago)

"I heard Akashi-sama started going out with someone," whispered a bobbed, light brown-haired girl.

"No way!!" cried another dark-haired girl.

Chiharu ducked her head, her eyes scanning the red beans in her bread. She walked down the familiar dark, concrete pathway towards the massive building where the second year classes lay.

Satsuki came from behind her twin sister, poking the sides of Chiharu's stomach. Chiharu jolted in shock before turning back to see her sister.

"Satsuki-nee!" she exclaimed. Satsuki laughed as she poked Chiharu's nose.

"Are you excited? This is the first day that you're officially going out with Akashi-kun!" she exclaimed.

Chiharu looked down, her low twintails falling to touch her red bean bread.

"I don't know," she whispered unconfidently. "There are lots of people talking about it. Satsuki-nee, I hate crowds. I hate people talking about me."

Satsuki smiled, not understanding the fear Chiharu had about this. "Let them talk. That way nobody would dare flirt with Akashi-kun," she answered giggling. She eyed the light blue haired boy walking up the pavement with a book in his hand. "Now if only Tetsu-kun and I..." she sang before skipping up to Kuroko.

Chiharu observed how confidently Satsuki could express her love to Kuroko. If only she could be like that...

...

"Don't compare yourself to your sister," Akashi stated calmly as they walked to the first string gym.

Chiharu looked up in shock. Had Akashi read her mind?

She flushed. "No I..." she stammered before Akashi took her hand in his. It was the first time they had openly held hands. She looked around quickly already noticing several crowds of girls staring at them and muttering to each other.

It had been months since they had started going out, but thanks to her insistence, they hadn't openly confirmed their relationship. She was about to release her hand from his grip before Akashi tightened his hold on her hand.

"Don't look at them," he commanded firmly. She nodded her head obediently, keeping her line of sight directly at the entrance of the first gym. She knew that her own feelings, to keep their relationship a secret, was selfish but she couldn't yet muster the courage to make it public.

Akashi continued the conversation. "You are you. Momoi is her," he finally said. "I love you just the way you are."

They walked into the gym together.

Akashi let go of her hand. "I'll need to oversee the practice now. Wait for me at the school gates after practice," he stated before jogging up to Coach Sanada. Like always, Chiharu greeted her sister, Aomine and the rest of the Generation of Miracles in the school gym before jogging out of the gym and up to the school library.As she made her way down a corridor, she bumped into a brown, bobbed-haired girl. She fell on her backside and looked up into the furious glare of the girl and her friends.

"So...sorry," Chiharu stuttered, her eyes watering. She recognised these girls. Some were managers of the basketball club, others were just part of the Generation of Miracles' fan club.

The girl she had bumped into, narrowed her eyes at her, inspecting her. As she confirmed it was Chiharu, not Satsuki, whom she had bumped into, she smirked.

"I heard rumours that you were going out with Akashi-sama," the girl slowly commented, each word coming out icily. She crossed her arms waiting for confirmation.