one

"Have you ever thought about marriage, Dan?"

Dan cackled, astonished by his mother's question. But his mother remained completely serious, so Dan shut up. He sat up, taking the wine glass off the cloth table and swishing the liquid around. "Marriage, mother? Where is this coming from? I believe you've had one too many drinks," he told her before sipping the beverage in his hand.

His mother sighed, brushing her curly, chocolate hair from her face. "You know the tradition, Dan. Eventually we're gonna have to pick somebody for you, and I'm trying to wait until you're ready, but your birthday is in a week and your father is in quite of a rush."

"Mother, love is not valid in my life. In the end, we all have ourselves and ourselves only, so why waste all our love on someone else when we could be loving our own souls?" Dan explained, intertwining his fingers and setting them on the table. The maid next to them noticed Dan's empty glass, scurrying over and leaving to refill it. "It's stupid-"

"Manners."

Dan sighed, holding back rolling his eyes. "It's irrelevant," he corrected himself. His mother pursed her lips. "And I understand you and dad are happily in love, but that's your own preference. I prefer myself and myself only, I don't need anybody else to tell me I am pretty or kiss my knuckles when I wash them daily."

Mrs. Howell shook her head. "Well start thinking differently, because you are going to marry someone- it's the rules, Daniel."

Dan pushed his chair back, standing out of it. "And who are you to tell me who I will and will not love? It is my life, not yours to control."

"I am your mother, Daniel, and I choose every path for you. Now sit back down, Edgar is making your favorite for dessert."

"I am no longer hungry," Dan glared, and the maid came back with the wine. Dan swooped it from her grip. "Now if this lovely drink and I may be excused." He took a sip before flashing a smile at the maid and ignoring his mother's protests, leaving the pristine, white room. Once Dan got to his room he set the glass down on his desk, flopping down onto his bed. He undid his tie, looking at himself in the mirror and laughing at how the dumb the idea of marriage was.

He was supposed to be working for law, but he hated it and wanted to keep putting it off.

He switched on the TV, hearing that an incoming storm was expected before huffing and switching it off. He was already bored, calling out his limo driver's name. "Herbert!"

The driver instantly appeared in his doorway, standing neatly. "Yes, Mr. Howell?"

"I desire a trip to the bookstore, if you could so kindly take me there?"

"Of course, Mr. Howell. But you do know that a storm is headed to our city?"

"Yes, and you do know you won't speak a word of where I went to my mother, right?"

The driver gulped and they headed outside, Dan pulling on his Alexander McQueen jacket over his button-up. He stepped into the jet, black limo, getting himself comfortable before requesting the radio to be turned on. A lovable pop song rang out and Dan was just beginning to enjoy it when suddenly it was switched to opera.

"I fancied that song, Herbert!" Dan pouted. Herbert eyed him through the rearview mirror.

"Now, Mr. Howell, you know you are not allowed to listen to that kind of music."

Dan rest his head upon his closed fist, exhaling. Soon enough the limo parked and Dan stepped out, leaning into the driver's window. "Please do not wait for me, Herbert. I wish to be left alone, I'll ring you when I am ready to be picked up."

Herb hesitated before Dan eyed him, and he drove off. Dan grinned to himself, pushing through the doors and internally smiling at the instant gazes that locked on him. His family was famous for their wealth and his dad owned his own company. Howell was a popularly hushed whisper and Dan hated it and loved it.

He walzted through the bookstore, eyeing the comic book section before sighing and heading into a more adultery section. His mother would kill him if he brought home anything that was for plain amusement and not education. Thunder roared out the store and he jumped, gaze darting around the store. And then one stranger caught his eye.

They had big blue eyes which were currently glued to a manga, glasses around them and a sweatshirt covering their hands, only their slim fingers peeking out. Their legs were crossed, ripped skinny jeans hugging them with muddy shoes at the end. Dan nearly gagged at how casual they were, but was also intrigued. He was on his way to strike up some banter with the stranger when the lights flashed out. He jumped, unable to see the person now.

"No worries guys, we've got emergency flashlights over here!" A countergirl exclaimed.

Dan rolled his eyes, pulling out his phone and freezing when his service was gone with the power. He shoved his hands in his pockets grumpily, heading over to the center of the store to get a flashlight. Daniel switched it on, making his way downstairs and finding a comfy spot to rest. As he was trudging through an isle of books, he bumped into someone, hearing them make a sound of protest. Quickly, he shined the flashlight, revealing the same stranger from earlier.

"I apologize deeply, sir, are you alright?"

The stranger laughed. "Sir? I've only just graduated uni, I didn't think I looked that old," the stranger joked. "But hey, if you're into that, I won't shame."

Dan tilted his head. "Pardon?"

The stranger held in a laugh. "I'm Phil."

"My name is Daniel."

"Nice to meet you, Dan," the boy smiled, extending his hand to shake Dan's. Dan shook his sweaty hand, furrowing his eyebrows.

"It's Daniel-"

"Wait, holy shit, are you Dan Howell?"

Dan flinched at the curse word but forced a smile. "In the flesh."

Phil grinned widely. "My roommate's a huge fan. Just between you and me, he's got a poster of you in his closet. You don't even know what he does to that."

Dan blinked. "You mean look at it?" He offered up, trying to make sense of what the boy just said. The boy cringed.

"How old are you?"

"I am twenty-four."

"Great, I'm twenty-seven."

"And you are still reading manga?" Dan asked.

"And you don't know what sex is?" Dan instantly blushed. He knew what that word meant, but he never spoke about it. He wasn't even allowed to watch anything with too much touchy-feely in it. "Well, by your reaction, you obviously do. You're like a gigantic baby that can walk and talk, this is adorable."

"Adorable? How can a human be adorable?"

"Who knows, but you just proved it's possible."

And Dan was suddenly hoping that he was stuck here forever.