twenty

fanart by @11fuckoff11

(timeskip)

"We already have four dogs! Now five?" Dan groaned.

Phil pouted his bottom lip, holding the retriever puppy out towards Dan. They were stood in the livingroom. "But look how cute it is! It was stray-"

"Literally every dog we have are all stray rescues-"

"You refuse to take me to the pet store!" Phil halfheartedly argued.

"Phil, you own a car. You could take yourself."

"But I don't like going places alone," Phil moped childishly.

"We cannot have another. We have enough animals in this house, you included."

"And we'll hopefully have more," Phil replied, ignoring the playful insult and looking down at the panting dog in his arms. "I wanna name him Salmon because I found him outside a sushi restaurant. Or Tuna. Tuna or Salmon?"

There was a long pause before Dan exhaled, rubbing his temples and taking a long look at the puppy in his husband's arms before speaking up. "Salmon. Sam for short."

"Yay! Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!" Phil cheered, setting the dog down. Salmon quickly hurried off to meet the other puppies pouring in from other rooms. Phil threw his arms around Dan, hugging him tightly. "I love you."

"Not as much as you love dogs," Dan mumbled, luring a giggle out of Phil before he pulled away. "And so help me, Phil Howell-Lester, if you bring one more hound into this house of ours. . ." Tabs meowed as if in agreement, waltzing into the kitchen.

Phil grinned, standing on his tippy toes and pressing a kiss to his forehead. "It won't be an animal. Next thing that comes into this household will have two arms and two legs and speak English."

"You really want a kid, huh?" Dan asked, a lopsided smile on his face as Phil headed over to the kitchen. He pulled out leftover pizza, taking the slice in his mouth before hopping up on the counter.

"Well of course, but not yet, 'cause I respect your wishes and I don't mind waiting. I waited twenty-seven years to find you, didn't I? I can wait a little longer. Besides, the dogs are our kids for now. And Tabs!"

Dan laughed at that, rolling his eyes at him playfully as he picked up Tabs. "I've been married to you for five years and yet I still question your maturity."

Phil shrugged. "Me too," he spoke. "Your parents are coming over soon, right?"

"In about an hour, yes. So we should get to cooking. And no flour fights this time! I don't want my parents seeing you stained in white, different scenario included."

Phil huffed, amused at Dan's dirty joke. He had lost maturity since meeting Phil, but honestly, he liked feeling more youthful. He wasn't so uptight or formal anymore and sold lots of his suits to replace them with shirts and jeans. And you know, other clothing. . .

Dan's life had drastically changed after Phil became a part of it. He's more open-minded and funny. He's become more giving and observant. Hell, he's even planning on starting a charity for the homeless. They're working out the plans and Dan's excited.

After attempting to cook, they ended up burning the food and calling for Chinese takeout. Dan's parents arrived on time, and Dan let them in, adjusting his outfit before opening the door.

"Mother, father," he greeted them both with a kiss to cheek, forcing a smile and letting them in. Phil exchanged handshakes with them, trying to hide his nervousness.