six

"My name's Dan,"

"I know. You already said that."

Dan looked over at Phil who was stood across the room, watching him attempt to chat with a stranger. This plan, Phil's plan to get Daniel James Howell himself some friends, was going horribly wrong.

Phil would walk with him, spot a specific person and then order Dan to butt in their way to introduce himself. Dan had done this about five times already, all conversations ending quickly and awkwardly. Dan wanted to stop and just go home and give up on being social, but Phil was enjoying this way too much and Dan wasn't about to kill his fiancée's giddy mood.

"Uh. . ." Dan began, but this was just getting more uncomfortable by the minute. And thank god for Phil Lester, because said person appeared (no unfortunately not God even though Dan was secretly praying he would) and Phil spoke up.

"Oh I'm sorry, he's just a little shy," Phil forced a smile and extended his hand. "And you are?"

"Wait- you're that famous engaged couple right?" The stranger inquired. Phil hid his shock at the fact he just got noticed as a celebrity and not an average nerd while Dan just exhaled. 

"We were just leaving, thank you for your time," Dan spoke before dragging Phil along with him. Phil furrowed his eyebrows, opening his mouth to argue when Dan cut him off. "This is no use, people will only use me for my riches just like they always have. I have never had friends, I just had people who have used me. The only reason you are not outraged with marrying me is because you'll have money." 

"Dan-" 

"I just want to stop being lonely for once. I have more billions of dollars than friends! Do you not think that is unhealthy? That maybe, just because I am rich, I must be happy too? Well you are wrong, just like everyone else!" 

Dan shut up after that, hiding his anger with clenched fists and eyes locked on his feet. Phil sighed, arms swaying at his sides. 

"Dan, can I hug you?" 

"Wh-" Dan stopped himself, blushing as Phil threw his arms around him and enveloped him in a hug. This wasn't like their normal hugs, no, Phil was up on his tippy toes with his head nudged into the man's neck, arms wrapped around his broad shoulders. Dan's arms stayed flimsy at his hips, blushing. 

"This is the part where you hug me back." 

Dan opened his mouth to respond but shut it, nodding and hugging him back slowly. Phil tightened his grip and Dan felt more comfortable, feeling dimples dent his cheeks as a smile grew on his lips. "Thank you," Dan murmured. 

Phil pulled away, giggling. "You don't thank people for hugging you. Hugging them back says enough for you. Look, I didn't hug you just to make you blush- even though it's adorable. I hugged you to apologize through body language. Sure, I like money- everybody does. But I'm lonely too and I want to get to know you. You seem like a nice person and your family is funny. There's more to you than meets the eye, and I love people like that. You've got a wall up and I'm willing to climb it." 

Dan flashed him a lopsided smile. "But what are we supposed to do? I don't want strangers at our wedding and I don't want fake friends." 

"I've got an idea." 

"Oh dear, no-" 

"Shut up. Now come on, we're going into a normal store and not one with diamond-crested doors or floors made of gold." 

"And doing what?" 

"We're gonna get you to look, wait for it, casual."

"Pardon?"

"T-shirts. Jeans. Shoes. Hell, maybe we could even dye your hair and get you a septum piercing." 

"You people have droll ideas of style. Why would I stick a piece of metal through my nose?" 

"I don't know but you'd look hot." 

Dan felt himself blushing again and Phil grinned. "Has nobody ever called you that before?"

"No." 

"Well that's a shocker. You're friggin' eyecandy." 

"Eyeball sweets?" Dan made a face of disgust. "That sounds revolting." 

"It's a compliment. I'm basically calling you beautiful." 

"You think I am beautiful?" 

Phil simply rolled his eyes and grabbed Dan's hand. "Remember how I said we're making you a bucketlist. I'm calling it 'Normal 101'. Has a ring to it, don't you think?" 

"I don't hear any ringing." 

Phil facepalmed. "Whatever, just hold my hand and act like you love me." 

Dan smiled at that, taking his hand. Because truth is, Dan didn't really have to act. 

  ღ   

"This is uncanny." 

"Because you're not used to not looking like Christian Grey. Look, just come out and do a little spin for me." 

Dan hesitated before pushing open the dressing room curtain, doing a twirl. He was in a big beige sweater and tight skinny jeans. 

"You look like a giant teddy bear!" 

"Buy it then we're gonna go to a shitty burger place by the name of Ronald McDonald." 

They paid and quickly left, the couple intertwining hands and Dan felt oddly content. He grew up with no physical contact, being told he had to grow up a man if he wanted to be like his father. Truth is, he didn't want to be like his dad, but it was tradition and there was no way out of it. If he cried, he was told to suck it up. If he complained, he was scolded to be quiet. If he forgot his manners, he'd be called impolite. 

But with Phil he felt like himself. Like he could say anything and have no negative consequences, a stupid statement or not. Phil accepted him and Dan trusted him. He just hoped Phil wouldn't turn around and be like one of them. He hoped Phil would always be there for him, and this was dangerous, because trust was a scary thing to have for someone. 

Dan took a bite out of his burger, wincing. "This is alarmingly vomit-worthy." 

"I know right!" 

And Dan felt like he finally made a friend.