seven

(a/n: ik im the worst, but here's an update)

Today was the day Dan both longed and dreaded.

His wedding day.

Time had flown by of the couple struggling to get along, but today they were being forced to suck it up and deal with each other for at least a few months.

He stared at himself in the frontal mirror, not necessarily feeling nervous but rather uneasy. Could you blame him, though? Sure, it's good to get it over with, but this meant more paparazzi and romance. And romance was not a word in Daniel James Howell's mental dictionary. He was too awkward and clumsy to be flirtatious, usually being the one to be flirted with and never making the first move.

Phil was the complete opposite, always speaking his mind and making sexual jokes. Dan both loved and hated it, it made him laugh, but then he'd get embarrassed when Phil would tease his fiancée for blushing. It wasn't that Dan was a prude, but he just didn't have the guts to really get into anything.

The piano started playing and Dan wanted to stomp into the other room and throw the piano through the window and make a run for it, but instead his hands began to shake and his father entered the room.

"Daniel, your fiancée is waiting for you. There are thousands of people out there so make sure to smile and wave, alright?"

"Thanks. No pressure at all," Dan spoke sarcastically. Mr. Howell muttered an apology before they linked arms, assistants pulling open the mahogany doors and revealing the two men to the guests. Paparazzi instantly rose, snapping pictures as Dan and his father moved swiftly down the isle.

Dan simply kept his gaze locked onto his feet, too nervous to look up and see his soon-to-be-husband. He felt his father let go and looked up at him to see they had made it to the end of the isle, the piano stopping as Dan moved to stand in front of Phil.

He first looked at his dress shoes, to his black pants and his eyes running over his button-down decorated with a silk tie and snug jacket. And finally the couple locked eyes, Phil flashing him a small smile.

"Hi beautiful," Phil commented, Dan's cheeks instantly responding by turning a deep shade of red at the nickname. Phil giggled and the priest began talking. Dan zoned out until it was his turn to say his promise. The simple two words that determined the rest of your life.

The whole room seemed to go quiet as they waited for Dan to speak up, all eyes on him. He felt like his throat was clogged and he scanned the room for any reassurance, finding none. Then he felt a hand pull against his, looking down to see Phil had reached out to squeeze his hand in a comforting gesture. Dan gulped.

Now or never.

"I do."

Truth is, he really didn't.

-

The afterparty was a mess, fans and paparazzi constantly following the newly-wedded couple every step they took. Cameras were constantly flashing and yells of Dan's name echoed throughout. Daniel just wanted to go on their honeymoon, not to be with Phil necessarily- just to get away from here. Alone time didn't exist in Dan's world, although their honeymoon location and dates are completely private and Dan appreciates that.

Dan's sitting alone, stirring his teaspoon around his mug out of boredom instead of socializing with the hundreds of guests that arrived. Gifts stacked nearly to the ceiling and music was blasting, people crowding the dance floor and the rest chattering outside. Dan felt a hand on his shoulder and jumped.

"Relax, Mr. Howell." He heard Phil's voice pipe up. Dan playfully rolled his eyes, feeling his husband sit next to him.

"I'll do what I want, Mr. Howell."

"Crap, I forgot we have the same last name now."

"That is quite literally one of the biggest parts of marriage and you just forget."

"Well, no offense, but marriage never really crossed my mind until your parents decided we'd be married in a week's time."

"Tell me about it." Dan huffed, taking a sip of his tea.

"Wanna take a walk outside? It's dark so the paparazzi won't be on our asses the whole time."

"And do what?"

"I don't know," Phil shrugged. "Stargaze or cliché stuff like that."

"If you say one cheesy thing though, I'm divorcing you already."

"That's not allowed!"

"Unfortunately not."

Phil laughed, punching Dan in the arm. "Shut up and be a proper husband."

"Wow, I just turned into a husband and I'm already a bad one," Dan joked and they both chuckled.

Phil rose up and extended his hand, Dan taking it and leaving out the backdoor with him. They exited to the nearby lake and sat down, Dan breathing in the fresh air and relishing in the quiet.

"Care for a swim?"

"The water's probably freezing."

Phil just shrugged. "Your loss." He then kicked off his shoes and walked right into the water, Dan furrowing his eyebrows.

"Did you just get in fully-clothed?"

"I would just go in my underwear but I'd rather not have paparazzi snapping pictures of my ass when I'm not looking. Frickin' voyeurs."

Dan exhaled before giving in, doing the same and meeting him in the shallow end of the water. They ran around in the lake like little kids, splashing each other and laughing until eventually getting pruned and deciding to step out.

Dan looked down and realized his belt was off, blinking.

"I think my belt fell off in the lake. Can you get it for me?" He asked Phil since he was still in the water.

"Smile!"

Dan jumped and felt his pants drop from his lack of having a belt, revealing his white heart-covered boxers to the paparazzi behind him. Flashes of cameras blinded the boy's eyes as they began running after taking the photos.

"Dan, get the cameras! Do you really want your Betty Boop underwear all over magazines?" Phil shouted. Dan clenched his fists.

"Get back here!" Dan shouted, beginning to run before realizing his pants were still down and tripping, falling face first into the mud. Phil burst out laughing behind him.

So this was what marriage was like.