Chapter 3

Diana

"You look like chicken poo."

I was barely getting comfortable in my seat when a woman in her forties entered my office.

Megan, being the only person who spoke to me like I spoke to myself gave me a curious look. She's been working with me for over four years now - the only person aside from Bernadette to give me an honest piece of her mind. She put a cup of coffee on my table, like she always did when I entered the building without make-up on, and sat down.

"Thank you for the free consultation, Meg. My mirror already beat you to it." I massaged my temple as she laid out my schedule for the day. I had three meetings lined up for today and I already wanted to go home.

She turned the page of her notebook and frowned. She looked up at me then started tapping her pen on the leather cover.

"What?" I asked while sipping my daily dose of caffeine.

"Benedict wants to talk to you this morning," she said cautiously. She was aware with what's happening between me and our employer. I was handling finance for his – his father's company.

Of course I could just pack all my picture frames and doggy bobble-heads and leave. But as far as I'm concerned, work ethics-wise, I've done nothing wrong. And although it might be awkward for the others to see me walking around, proud being that I am, and attending meetings with Mr Benedict Walsh - ex- fiancé extraordinaire, they'd learn to live with it.

I sure as hell was trying.

"What for?", I put down my cup, my full attention on her now.

"He'll be introducing a new staff for the department." The tapping seemed to grow louder this time.

I raised an eyebrow. I have a weird feeling about this. "And..." I said suggestively.

She sighed before closing her notebook. "She's the new girl."

Tracing the rim of my cup, I nodded. "Female. Okay, I don't see that as a prob -"

"She's the new girl, Diana," she said while gritting her teeth.

I sat back on my chair, interlaced my fingers and looked her straight in the eye. "I see," I said calmly. Moments of sympathetic silence later, Megan exited the room.

"Crap." I stood up and started pacing the room.

"Crap!" I reached for my handbag and pulled my cell phone. My hands were shaking like crazy as I scrolled to find Bernadette's number.

"He's taking her here. Here!" I exclaimed the moment I heard her voice from the other line.

"Calm down Diana," she replied, clearly shocked on why I would call her this early in the morning. It was just eight yet here I was, panicking because he's bringing his woman in.

"Why on earth would he take her there?" I heard a deeper voice. Michael was home and I might be interrupting them this early in the day.

"Megan said he'll be introducing a new employee." I started biting my nails as I looked through my window. He always arrived at nine. So I still have less than an hour to get myself together. "I'm no genius, but I'm pretty sure she'll be working here."

"Okay, okay. Calm down." she replied.

"I can't!" Lowering my voice, I sat down. My headache was getting worse, even the coffee wasn't helping. "This is just too...soon. Why would he do this to me?"

"Simple, really- He's an ass and you're a great pretender. You told the guy you had no hard feelings! Of course he'll be bold enough to flaunt the new one. You just need to suck it in, Diana. I told you, you always have a place in Michael's finance department." She still wouldn't give up on offering me a place at her husband's company. But with Benedict freaking Walsh telling me I was an asset in his, I always said no.