Chapter 7

Diana

"So how was it?"

Were the first words that came from behind me right after I passed Megan's table.

I slowly turned to look at her, her cheeks pink. I think it had something to do with being in complete bliss - a warm glow as the romantics called it.

"How about something in between the lines of It's a good thing nothing happened to you or we were so worried when you didn't call us, Megan?" I slowly opened the lid of the coffee cup she handed me while I passed her working station.

She waved a dismissive hand and slightly shook her head. "You look alive and well. You'll be scowling if you weren't."

I grimaced as I continued walking inside my office, Megan on my heels with my schedule. "Scowling?" I smirked. "That's new. What happened to frowning?" I asked as we both sat down.

"Diana, you do frowning every morning. Scowling would be directed to someone else. That someone would have been me if last night didn't end well." She opened her notepad and was about to speak when I stopped her.

"Why is it that you were gone by the time Wil arrived?" Her eyes quickly met mine. "And why are you glowing?" I squinted my eyes as I leaned towards her from across my table. "It happens weekly. Usually before the weekend. Don't tell me it was that expensive beauty product you got on your wedding. I had allergies. "

Her cheeks burned to a deeper color as she laughed. "Being married has its benefits even after thirty, you know."

I rolled my eyes and pointed at her notepad. "I may be single but I do know about the birds and the bees, Meg. Now," I took a slow sip of my coffee as she reported the calls made, the meetings for the day, and the reports to be submitted within the week. Since she magically made it possible for me to escape our boss yesterday, there was nothing much to do. Come to think of it, Megan was reciting the schedule from PM to AM.

I put down my cup and waited as she her gaze stopped at the top part of the paper.

"Well?" I encouraged her.

"The new girl -"

I slapped a hand on my forehead.

Of course. I was asked to give a tour the girl around the office. Benedict got too comfortable with letting me handle his ladylove that he overstepped the imaginary boundaries of the widely-spoken break up. Sometimes I just want to punch his handsome face.

"Jane Doe right?"

"It's Jenny," a clear voice from the door answered.

And there she was. Jan – Jenny Doe all prepped up for war. Unlike yesterday, she seemed to gain more confidence.

And new clothes for the matter.

Megan looked uneasy as she placed her things on her lap. Taking pity on her, I let her leave the office and asked the newcomer to occupy the seat.

"I thought superiors should be examples. With all due respect ma'am, I've been waiting for an hour," she continued. I was tempted to pat her head. She was really trying to act tough on me. She may have had a little pep talk with herself before coming here.

Ignoring her snide remark, I tapped my fingernails on my desk. "You'll start like the interns since technically, you are." I stood up and made my way to the door. I didn't even bother turning back to see if she was following me or not.

"Just minor tasks for now. Manning the machines. That includes the photocopying machines, fax," I turned to her just to emphasize my words ",coffee."