Chapter 12

Wilbur

News about me taking a certain Diana Coal to visit my parents spread like wildfire. Wildfire pertaining to my boss - James and his wife, and that Bernadette woman who hired my services before. (Hey, James wasn't kidding when he said she had contacts.)

"This," he pointed at my face while he shook his head, clearly entertained, "I did not pay you to do."

I shrugged, hoping he'll let the subject drop but he slumped back down on his chair. "Tell me, boy."

"What's there to tell? She needed a break, I needed one, too." I answered nonchalantly.

"My wife, she told me you've been hanging around her office –"

"The same office building where some of our clients also go to." I cut him off.

"Why are you being so defensive? "he asked.

"Why are you being so nosy?" I retorted. "You and Meg should stop playing cupid. I get it, you're happy."

I was expecting at least another question, or a joke on how defensive I was but he just sat there, smiling. Love – it does some serious damage to people.

"Just for a week. You know how Tory feels about leaving the apartment for too long." It may seem like I was convincing James, but really, it felt more like I was convincing myself. By the mention of Tory's name, James' eyes softened. Tory often visited him and Meg. They were all but putty when it comes to her.

"You still haven't told her about her mom, have you?" he asked. "It's been years, Wilbur."

I sighed, adjusting my tie. "Easier said than done, James. I'll tell her. Just – not right now. It's for the best." I got up and fixed my collar. "She's still a kid, let's just let her be one."

"You make a good father figure," James uttered.

"I have to." I pointed out.

James stretched his arms, the buttons of his shirt threatening to pop out. Not as desperate as a couple of years ago though. Megan, his wife, said yes just in time. If it weren't for her, James would be gaining weight as fast as he gained his clients.

"Ye know," he started, "I, well, we're trying to produce an," he waved his hand, thinking of the proper term "heir."

I groaned, holding my hands up to cover my ears. It was one thing to overhear housewives complaining about their sex lives, and another thing to hear your boss explaining the possible positions to be in to get better results.

I left with a quick goodbye, with him laughing as I closed the door behind me. The old fart knew which buttons to push and his wife knew the exact ropes to pull to get the latest news.

What was it about Diana that got anyone who we both knew, so worried about her? She was no glass figurine, she made sure I knew that.

All I know is she got dumped. Rather, she dumped the guy. Now that, I could picture. But the other way around? Who in their right mind leaves a woman like her?

It's not like I was unaware of the harsh realities of dating an independent woman. Some say it slowly puts out the fire out of a man, and not in a romantic kind of way. Maybe he just couldn't handle that. Couldn't handle her.

Or maybe Diana's secretly a dedicated, housewife-material woman. Maybe that caught the guy off guard. The poor man must have expected a wife he would barely see and Diana just wasn't having any of it. That cold exterior of hers could fool almost everyone. Almost fooled me when she was down on her knees begging not get arrested. Again, could've worked on completely different circumstances.