Chapter 18

Wilbur

"She didn't come home today, either." Tory placed her bag down before slumping on the sofa. She looked a little. I picked her bag up from the floor and started putting our clothes in the laundry basket.

"You want to eat outside? Anywhere you want."

She pouted, playing with the strings of the jacket she wore. "I don't know," she murmured. She took one of the throw pillows and placed it on the armrest. She sighed before resting her head on it. "I'm not hungry."

I finished my task and walked to the kitchen. "You had fun this week?" After washing my hands, I opened the freezer to get the tub of her favorite ice cream. I heard a humming sound from the living room. We do go back to my parents' house from time to time. It wasn't good for her to stay cooped up in the apartment after coming home from school. It was nice that our neighbor was kind enough to look after her. She needed attention just like any other kid. I remember my parents giving me enough attention that I planned my own escape at age thirteen. Of course I failed miserably. The back door and the floor on the porch creaked loud enough that my dad was by the door before my foot could even step on soil. I struggled with saying how I felt.

And now I'm struggling to take this ice cream off the fridge.

"Can we ask Diana to come over?"

I turned my head towards her voice, my hands numb for being in the freezer for too long. Tory was standing behind the fridge's door.

"I don't know. She might busy."

She looked at me. "Office stuff?"

I nodded. "Office stuff." Grunting, I pulled on the cursed container before sighing. "Do you want to eat breakfast for dinner?"

Her face lit up like Christmas lights. "Waffles and bacon?"

I closed the fridge and wiped my hands on my jeans. "Want to bet on who can make the most stable waffle tower?"

Tory jumped, smiling as she clapped her hands. I smiled back and poked her cheek. She complained about my cold hands. We spent a couple of minutes chasing each other around the apartment with me convincing her that my cold hands could erase frown lines.

The next day, we were back to our usual routine. We get ready in the morning and I drop her off at school. It was good to see her being her usual self but how she was yesterday was becoming a real concern, it's been a concern for quite some time now. I have used every cheer up method for kids known to man; enough to write a book. Maybe this time around, before the next school year, I can convince her to stay over at my parents' house.

I went to James' office after driving for a wedding. It ended quickly, half an hour earlier. The bride ran away. Wedding jitters must have gotten the best of her. I spent the rest of the time filling on a log and checking the car.

"What are you still doing here?"

James was walking towards me, his hands busy reaching for his keys in his back pocket. He frowned, pausing for a while. Either he had deep pockets and it was difficult to reach for his keys, or he was scratching something itchy.

"You're too easy on me, James. I need to do my job properly." I closed the log book and faced him - still reaching for his keys.

"Aren't you visiting her today?"

"I am. See you tomorrow." I was walking away when I turned to him. "Have you checked the keys inside your car?" I asked. He slapped a palm on his forehead before grumbling his way towards it.

I didn't have to travel long. I stopped in front of the building, taking in the warm color of the walls. I was already told that she was doing well so I was hoping to have a better conversation with her this time. I told her I was going to visit her and she seemed okay with it.