Chapter 20

Wilbur

Diana was like someone I'd meet on a train and have a friendly conversation with during a long trip. She felt like a stranger but almost in a straightforward grandmother kind of way. The kind that you'd be polite with but you'd listen to if she called you an idiot.

It wasn't like what I had a couple of years ago. With every single thing happening so fast these days, it was nice to actually sit down and just talk to someone. There were no blatant comforting words, or encouragement between us. It was just two adults trying to live their lives the way they know they can. She's been a friend to Tory and they occasionally have sleepovers. Of course, I do like her but I wasn't a horny teenager anymore. And it wouldn't be a smart move to just charge into someone who's still figuring out what to do with their life.

You can take one good look at someone and see that they're trying to be alright. So while she's still trying, we'll be there.

And being sentimental about these kinds of things is just the right thing to do on a Friday night.

I sighed, looking at the bottle of beer in my hand. The movie I was watching was already finished with me not really knowing what the plot was about. I've had days where I can function well enough like my body was programmed to do certain tasks.

"Can you turn down the volume, please?" Tory walked in the living room, rubbing her eyes. She looked at me and made her way to the couch and sat beside me.

"Are you thinking about my mom?" She reached for the remote control on the coffee table and changed the channel.

"Don't worry," she said. "She'll come back. She told us, remember?"

I looked at her. Her eyes were on the screen but I knew she felt anxious. Her mom's been gone for a year and a half now. I couldn't tell her where she was even if I wanted to. Her mom wanted to do this her way. She insisted on keeping this side of her a secret to Tory. Things wouldn't have ended the way they did if she knew better. But you never really know any better until the damage has been done.

"Or were you thinking of Diana?"

I squinted my eyes, throwing a pillow at her face. "We really are related. You know too much."

She threw the pillow back at me, frowning as she fixed pushed the strands of her off her face. "That's not true. I still suck at math."

I laughed, messing her hair one more time. "Well I liked math."

She scoffed, getting off the couch. "Grandma told me you only liked PE."

"I said I liked math. That doesn't mean I was good at it."

She made a face before walking to her room. "Maybe that's why I'm not good at it."

"That's right -" I looked at her and she gave me a grin. "Now listen here, young lady. I managed to graduate primary school just fine. And you will, too."

She gave me a small salute before saying good night.

I picked my phone up and contemplated for a solid two minutes on weather I should call Diana or not. What was there to talk about anyway? We've been meeting on weekends so I guess it won't be a problem if I called her about tomorrow's agenda.

"It's not like I'm doing something weird. Just ask her about what you guys will do tomorrow," I murmured, staring at the small pool of water that formed on the counter where my beer was.

"How about I bring some random food and see what we can make?"

I closed my eyes, slapping my forehead with my palm. "You heard that?"