Chapter 19

Diana

I could hear the sound my heels were making clearly. That's how quiet the place became when I entered the office after my mini vacation. There were no hushed whispers, just silent stares as I made my way to my table. I was halfway there when my secretary Megan saw me. She stood up slowly and as if watching opera for the first time, she started clapping her hands slowly.

It started with just her but then she was joined by the people on the far end of the room. It felt like incoming rain – it started quietly. Next thing I knew, almost everyone was clapping. I didn't know how I felt about the reaction I received but I was more than welcome to accept the applause. I shook my head, laughing. Before I entered my office, I looked at everyone and cleared my throat.

"Let's get things done today."

I received a loud 'Yes, ma'am!' as they sat back down.

"You look... different." Megan followed me inside my office, placing a cup of coffee on my table.

I shrugged, giving her a cheeky grin. "It must be the hair."

"There's that," she pointed out. "You look like you don't have a dark cloud following you around anymore."

Chuckling, I took her notebook with all the appointments I had for the day. "What can I say? Sky's as clear as my hair."

We went through half the day like usual, with some compliments here and there. It was one of those days where I felt a tad bit happier going to work. I lived with a routine and it made me feel uncomfortable when things didn't go the way they were supposed to go. Everyone at work knew that. That's why most of them were cautious of me when news about Benedict falling head over heels over someone he met while he was engaged to get married. I wouldn't blame them. I was well aware of how unapproachable I was during the past few weeks. Who wouldn't? I wasn't going to be a saint and bless a marriage or them expecting me to just congratulate them for a job well done.

Woohoo, hurray for destiny and all that.

I honestly thought I had it good. I thought I had it all. I mean I did, for like a couple of years. But apparently, balance must be restored in the universe. You can't just be happy for that long of a time. You have to share whatever happiness you have. I was okay with sharing happiness. I just wasn't okay that I had to share my happiness with others.

"I heard she ran away. I know the wedding coordinator and she called me just a while ago."

I took a couple of steps back and saw some people talking in the coffee room.

"It was probably the guilt."

The other woman shrugged and continued to sip her coffee. I stared at the wall for a brief moment and slowly made my way to the office.

There was a bride in my office, wearing an all too familiar gown. She was slumped on the floor like she just got locked in and was told she was never to see the prince ever again.

She looked up to meet my gaze. She had rosy cheeks, barely had any makeup on, with puffy eyes. I didn't really know what to do. If I were to be with a man who was just recently with another woman, I wouldn't really go to that woman. That's like putting everyone in a very awkward situation.

But she was here, slowly standing and facing me like I was the final boss. I tried to look calm. It felt like my head was about to explode. I just came out of my vacation. Can't this woman let me breathe for like a couple of months at least?

"You're perfect for him," she started, wiping her nose.

"You're smart, confident and you always know what to say," she continued.