Chapter 17

Diana

"You think she'll love it?"

I opened one eye and grunted. The room was too bright and something kept touching my face. They didn't even bother to dry their hands first. Waving an arm to make them know that I wasn't having any of it, I tried reaching for a blanket but found none.

"You shouldn't have left her alone like that." Another voice, a woman.

I had to get up. I had way too much fun last night that I couldn't even remember how I got home. I remember talking to people on the streets. Most of them were just old folks enjoying the evening. I recall Wilbur being pulled by his friends and me reassuring me that I'll be fine looking around town. Everyone was so friendly that I got carried away.

I vaguely remember one sweet old lady telling me about Wilbur. She was his class adviser back in high school. She talked about what a good kid Wilbur was. He got in trouble like any other kid his age but he knew his way out. She mentioned Wilbur having a sister a few years younger than he was and how protective Wilbur was of her. Kind old lady, she was. She proved to be a heavier drinker than I was. She reminded me of my own grandmother.

She mentioned having a mid-life crisis and how she wanted to get married again and travel the world using a yacht. I remember us talking about women empowerment and how she can do whatever she wanted. I remember entering a parlor that smelled like smoke and holding her hand as she cried. We had a couple of more drinks after that. That's as far as my memory could take me.

"I looked for her for three hours. She was with Mrs Simeon when I found her. She doesn't remember much either."

"Well, I think it looks cool." The sound of footsteps became louder as the figure stood in front of me. I could feel her breathe on my face before she spoke again. "Diana, you have to get up now.

I groaned. "Five more minutes." Someone snickered and I slowly opened my eyes. I saw three figures looking at me: Tory, Wilbur , and his mother.

"Good afternoon, moonshine." Wilbur was holding a glass of water. I sat up slowly, rubbing my eyes.

"Afternoon." I looked at Wilbur's mom, concerned.

"Are you feeling alright?" she asked.

I nodded and awkwardly went to their kitchen with them following closely behind.

"Is... there a problem?" I asked. They were uncharacteristically quiet. Wilbur's mother glared at him before leaving the room.

Tory approached me, holding my hand. "I think you're prettier than yesterday."

I looked at Wilbur. He nodded, "I mean...it's eye-catching."

I walked past him and went to one of the bathrooms.

Tory covered her ears. I heard a loud 'I told you so.', a man laughed from somewhere inside the house and Wilbur bit onto his fist.

"My hair is blue!" I shrieked.

"I know!" Wilbur shrieked back.

"How?!"

"I don't know! You tell me."

I looked at myself in the mirror again. I was breathing heavily and Wilbur slowly walked towards me, placing his hands on my shoulders.

"It's not so bad." He started. I rubbed my face with the palms of my hands.

"You should see Mrs Simeon." Tory came inside the bathroom, giving me a glass of water then leaving.

"What about her?" I asked, taking a few sips of water. Wilbur sat on the bathroom floor, taking the glass from my hands.