Chapter 11

Diana

Once I told them I was going, Tory practically whooped for joy while William regarded me with what I can only assume was a look of admiration. Not the twinkle-in-his-eyes kind. It felt more like I just sacrificed myself to a little elf. When I realized I just said 'yes' to people I just met, I panicked and excused myself to powder my nose a.k.a., hyperventilate while sitting on a toilet seat.

"Are you crazy?" I asked the woman staring back at me. Mirrors seemed to be the most reliable confidant during times like this. Especially times like this. Times when an impish grin coming from a little girl made a grown woman agree.

Of course the question I was asking myself was quite logical. Who goes on an adventure with people she just met? Worse, from a failed bachelorette party. It was like the making of Dora the Explorer, but in a horror movie, and without the singing and the constant questions on where Dora should go.

There's a kid involved. Bad people don't let kids tag along with them. Besides, he's too good-looking to —

"A model for Calvin Klein could butcher you with that kind of mind-set, Diana," I scolded myself. I'm going to go crazy. I probably am. Maybe I can pretend to be sick or busy —

I shook my head before straightening the front of my blouse. "I needed a vacation anyway. Think of it as a reward for working so hard, Diana." I nodded. A poor excuse for a pep talk but that would do for now. I kept repeating this in my head, bracing myself for a very awkward exchange before stepping outside the restroom.

"We're going to look at the horses. They have horses there, you'll see!" Tory grinned, waving a buttered crab in the air.

"Calm down, sweet cheeks." Wil turned to me and crossed his arms, groaning while he leaned back on his chair. "You sure you want to go? I mean you just met us. We don't want you going against your will. Lawyers cost a fortune."

Tory frowned. And in all honesty, I would've done the same.

"I am an adult woman. Most of the time, I know what I want," I answered. "You sure think of your expenses huh," I added.

At this point, I found out that Wil was never shy about voicing out what was on his mind. Mostly about money. I wouldn't say he was — well, poor. Tory seemed to be well provided for. He was just thinking of things, money-wise.

"Sure do. In fact, I got coupons for this place. But I'm no cheapskate," he said rather quickly. "The coupon expires next week. Most of the time we dine with plates decorated with gold," he grinned.

I laughed. The guy thought I was bothered. There was nothing wrong with finding ways to save money. Tory didn't seem to mind.

"One time, we saved around fifty bucks with coupons I cut out from magazines and newspapers," Victoria boasted.

"Cavities. She targeted the cereals," Wil grimaced as if remembering having to eat it every morning.

"Well," I started, hoping to change the topic. I needed to know our schedule and the available amenities while I entrusted my life to two strangers. ",as long as there's a way to access the internet and a decent phone signal, I'm good to go."

Wil grinned as he wiped his fingers with the towel resting on his lap. He first placed it on his collar, like a man-bib but decided otherwise when I gave him a strange look. Men wearing bibs wasn't exactly a sight I saw often.

"You city folks and your internet," he said while he shook his head. He was trying to act like an old looney from some western film. I looked at Tory as she tsked and copied Wil, shaking her head.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, so there's no internet. But I need —"

"Phone signal," Wil raised a brow. ",no problemo."

"You'll have fun, I'm sure of it. We have gardens and chickens, and, and —" Tory held my hand resting on the table but quickly withdrew. I looked down to see my hand covered in butter. She was about to apologize when I smiled.

"Gardens, you say?" I asked, "I always wanted to go to one those flower gardens."

Wil was wiping Tory's hands with a hand towel when he turned to me. He blinked a couple of times before grinning. "Sweetheart, that's the second time you guessed something wrong."

"Oh, so you mean —"

Victoria grimaced before mouthing the word 'vegetables'. "But we do have flowers there too!" she added.

I smiled. The kid reminded me of myself, but with a mom. Come to think of it, I haven't seen her mother. It would be rude to just ask it out of the blue, but I couldn't help but wonder. Wil barely looked at his phone and if there ever was a trace of a woman living at their place, she didn't seem to bother with the décor . Maybe she was a working mom. The thought of a woman in a suit and a guy working as a part-time stripper under the same roof with a child. Talk about modern family. But if he was married, this situation would've been impossible. Separated but in good terms perhaps?

I found myself staring at them having an exchange of hushed words. Tory nodded when Wil asked something and they both turned to me. Tory grinned one more time before hopping off her seat.

"We'll take you home," she said. She snapped her fingers before turning to look at me. "Don't forget to bring a hat," she reminded me but turned again, "and a piece of bacon."

"Bacon?" I murmured to myself. I felt a hand lightly wrap around my upper arm and Wil was guiding me outside. "Why should I bring bacon?"

He chuckled before looking at me. The man had dimples. Dimples that showed if he smiled often. I just noticed how I never did look at him whenever he laughed. I was getting used with the scowl on his face that seemed to be his default mode. Like he had to think of everything he has to say before actually saying them. Whenever he laughed, I found myself looking down, embarrassed as a school girl who saw a shirtless boy for the first time.

"Your eyes," I pointed out. "look like you just had a nap after watching a sad movie. Bet you were trouble in high school." I nudged his shoulder before he opened the car door for me. He snorted, closing the door and making his way to the driver's side.

"I was trouble alright." He jokingly smoothed his stubble while looking at the rear-view mirror. "Always got accused of sleeping during history class."

Tory was already busying herself, writing what looked like a letter on her notebook.

Sighing, I almost convinced myself I was content. "Well did you?"

"Did I what?" Wil asked back.

"Sleep during history class."

He smiled, his eyes seeming more sullen. It was those damn eyes that confused me. It always was a contrast to what he said. He could be telling me he won the lottery and look like his goldfish just died and I'll end up believing both.

"Well Diana," he said slowly. "That is history."

I snickered. He was trouble alright. Wonder how his folks handled him. I'll leave it up to him on how he'll introduce me. I'm not expecting to be introduced as a girlfriend or how the elders jokingly put it, a special friend. Maybe Tory wanted me to bring bacon as a gift of thanks. She's an angel.

"Why am I supposed to bring bacon?"

Wil's face was a picture of confusion before it slowly cleared, replaced by a wry smile.

"First off, we're not members of any cult. Second, people should stop judging others by their looks. And lastly, everybody needs to make at least a little effort to get close to someone, earn their trust."

I frowned. Why did it feel like I was being given a heads up?

"What's the bacon for?" I asked yet again.

Tory, the sweet angel, chose that time to pop her head from the backseat and answer the question for me.

"For diablo!"