Chapter 9

Diana

If the woman telling the story about how forgiving is 'very important' would stop glaring at me, that would be great.

The awkward position of sitting on very small seats was taking its toll on me. How did presidents convince others that they're trying to run a country when visiting schools with small chairs? Yes let me just tell stories to these kids that they've probably heard before while there are cameras so people on the internet would admire me. I mean who doesn't love adults on kiddie chairs right?

The kid beside me sneezed and I looked down to see him picking his nose. Grimacing, I took my handkerchief from my bag and gave it to him. He didn't even hesitate to sneeze on it and gave me a satisfied grin while handing the handkerchief back afterwards.

I should've just given him tissues.

I wasn't exactly fond of children. But unlike the belief that my kind ate kids for dinner, we actually prefer take-out paired with a glass of wine on special occasions.

I'm not sure why Jenny, my ex-fiancé's royal adviser decided that I wasn't fit to be around them. Not liking children doesn't make me unfit, or any less of a woman. It likes wanting a side of fries with my burger. It's optional.

I looked around to see kids from the higher grades peeping through the gap at the door. My eyes widened when I saw a familiar face among them. I stood up walked towards her. Her classmates made a run for it when they saw me, but she stood her ground and I opened the door wider. Jenny was already behind me before I could even say hi to Tory.

Jenny walked in front of me and crouched down to Tory's eye level. She gave Tory a smile and asked her if she wanted to listen to the story that she was reading. Tory looked up to me, her eyes asking. I shrugged and she gave a silent nod as Jenny took her hand.

When she was asked to sit on the floor like the younger kids, she looked over her shoulder and at me.

"Well she's older," I started. I took the chair I was previously sitting on and gave it to her. I didn't want to do the crouching tiger in heels anyway. Jenny gave me a look, not the approving kind, and continued reading about a woman with a curfew.

"So you just have to be patient," Jenny finished, closing the book with a satisfied smile. "Prince Charming might be stuck in traffic," she added, making the little girls giggle, and the boys make icky noises.

I was observing Tory as most of the adults played with the children. Apparently, the school was adjusting to us visiting. Something about the company donating for their gymnasium. I say they should focus on proper ventilation and sturdier armchairs for the older kids.

Jenny was keeping an eye on Tory as well. Or maybe she was watching me watch Tory. I really would like to talk to her and convince her that I have nothing against children. I was a kid before, I knew I was annoying and irrational, and very annoying, but that's just how the circle of life worked. I wouldn't go as far as raising them and presenting them on a rock, but I would never loathe them.

Jenny talked to Tory a while longer before she stood up and waved to say goodbye. Tory stopped in front of me and I automatically offered her my hand. See? I'm not so bad when it came to children. Tory was a special exception. Maybe having someone see me while I was gloriously hung-over other than a guy was a good thing. We have established trust now.

"Is that your new mom?" a boy in a green hoodie asked. Tory frowned and shook her head.

"She's my friend," Tory said meekly. I had a feeling she was waiting for me to deny it. I wouldn't. When I was her age, being with the big kids meant you were cool.

Then There's Wilburजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें