Chapter 23

I'm so done with this family. Their life is more complicated than the Kardashian's. And poor me is getting caught up in the mess. From the day I entered this house I've not been able to live in peace. There's always the stupid rituals, a lunatic brother or a psychopathic serial killer.

To be honest, I was actually excited about having a soul mate. My mom always told me that I shouldn't rely on a man. But I didn't listen to her. I wanted to know what it felt like to have someone who cares about you more than anyone else in the world. I fell in love with a man who doesn't even care about me. "I love you!" I yelled at Elliot's picture in the hallway.

"Guess someone's having a bad day," Arrow said from behind. I looked at him and glared. "I am busy right now, can I ignore you some other time?" I smirked. He chuckled and shook his head. "Doing what? Talking to portraits about your love for the King?" He asked. My heart skipped a beat. He heard me?

I hadn't even told Kiel that I was in love with his brother. I didn't know how to tell him. I could either murder Arrow or str- "I won't tell anyone," he assured. And something about the way he said it made me want to believe him.

Using a trick that Kiel taught me I shut my eyes and muttered a chant. On opening my eyes I saw white smoke around Arrow. The white smoke indicated honesty. "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked me. I was reluctant at first but then I nodded. If necessary, I would erase his memories but he obviously couldn't be involved in the murder.

He suggested that we drive to the mountain top since it was a quiet place and offered a magnificent view. I readily went with him because I was desperate to get away from the chaotic Gabriels. The drive wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. Turns out, mountain terrains are very bumpy. So I wasn't able to take pictures of myself.

I know what you people might be thinking, she just got murdered and she wants to click pictures? Well guess what, I won't find my kidnapper by frowning.

My life, my rules.

"Have you ever encountered a lone wolf?" he asked me. I shook my head. He grinned and then pointed at one across us. The wolf saw us and disappeared into the forest. "Mate," he said as a smile made its way to his face. That was his mate? "Mate. Elliot is your mate, isn't he?" he asked.

We made our way towards the end of the cliff and sat down. It was deep. There was a stream flowing down there at a phenomenal speed. It was a beautiful danger. "I never imagined myself to be Queen of some supernatural world, you know? All I wanted was to get married and have two kids. Then Elliot came into my life and bam. I fell in love with him and and as it is said, every story has a villain. We were happy but then-" I laughed.

"Then you got killed," he chuckled humorously. He offered me a bottle of beer which I grabbed. After a swing or two I asked him about his life.

"My mom died giving birth to me. My father hated me and my sister always out shined me. Growing up I was teased about being hated by my own family so I had no friends. So I guess you know how those kind of guys turn out right? Puberty hits them hard in the balls- literally. And that's how I became a guy whom girls chase after," he smiled.

"Tragic," I muttered awkwardly. Wait a minute. "You mean to say that you still don't have any friends?" I asked. He shook his head. "You know the sad thing about life, Cara? We run behind our happiness. No matter whether it's a friend or a family member, they all tend to leave us in times of need. We want the joy that comes with relationships; not the relationship. So no, I don't have any real friends."

That was so deep.

"Friends?" I extended my hands. He looked at me in amusement. "Maybe," he laughed. He got out another set of beers from the car and handed another bottle over to me. "So here's to horrible mates," he grinned, "and to horrible friends," I added with a grin of my own.