4

Word Count: 1414, completed 

Isabella did what she knew best and that was to do as she was told, she nodded back to Hunter as a silent agreement to his proposal of taking her home then started to walk out of the stables. The people she once tried to avoid were now parting like the red sea to get away from her and Hunter but for once they were not moving from her as if she contained a contagious disease, they were moving out of fear of what would happen if Hunter found out about how they treated her.

Waiting at the front of the pack house was a black SUV ready to take Isabella home, the excitement of the whole situation was very quickly wearing off and anxiety was taking over her body especially at what she was going to do with Tobias. Clearly not noticing this, Hunter opened one of the black doors and guided Isabella into the leather seats, not caring about the dirt transferring from her clothes onto the seats.

Nobody said a word in the car, Hunter was itching to ask Isabella everything, his head was buzzing with questions that he wanted to ask but everyone in the car felt the blanket of awkwardness surrounding them so he thought better of the 101-question interrogation... but surely one or two couldn't help, right?

"So... you have no parents then?" he questions looking at his hands as if it was the least important question in the world and yet as soon as the words left his lips, he was internally cursing at himself. Hunter wasn't sure if he liked this new feeling that he got around Isabella, it was nothing like he had ever felt before – he second-guessed everything he wanted to say whereas before he never cared, he was the King after all and yet here was this girl who just one look at caused his heart to swell and break all at the same time.

Isabella knew a question about her parents would come up eventually but her mouth dropped open at the personal question. Isabella found that she couldn't look Hunter in the eye, she felt shame rear its ugly head within her, the circumstances around her parents had always been a sore spot but more so since Finn liked to use it as a torture device to remind her that her own parents didn't even want her.

"They left me on the doorstep of the pack house... no letter... not reason, I was just unwanted" Isabella shrugs, pretending like that word didn't sting like the tears pooling her eyes

"Unwanted" Hunter repeats, he reaches out and takes Isabella's small hand in his, at first, she flinches making Hunter furrow his eyebrows but he chooses not to address it. Both could feel the heat and electricity passing through them but neither of them said a word about it.

"I'm used to it, I expect nothing else" Isabella says trying to use a joking tone of voice but her voice wavers and Hunter sees straight past the fake smile, he once again doesn't say anything but he squeezes Isabella's hand slightly as a comforting gesture, he also brings up both of her hands to his mouth and kisses the point where they join, Isabella can't help the gasp that escapes her lips at the intense sparks shooting through her hands.

"I want you" he whispers into her hands but he looks straight in her eyes, every one of his feelings pouring out through them, so unused to this, Isabella starts to panic and forcefully pulls her hands out of Hunters.

-

Once they had finally gotten to the cottage, Isabella's anxiety levels were through the roof. Isabella led Hunter straight through to the kitchen where there was a tiny two-person table with chairs for him to sit at as she found herself trying to clean up without him noticing. Nobody ever came here so it never mattered what it looked like and only now that Hunter was here did Isabella realise how, despite spending her life cleaning other people's homes she had failed at keeping her own home tidy.

Isabella also did a scan around their surroundings and found that Tobias was nowhere to be found, this was strange for Tobias because it was so unlike him not to greet her when she first came through the door but he was smart and must've known that something was happening. Knowing that for now, Tobias was a secret, it felt like for the first time she could take an actual breath, she hadn't even realised she had been holding her breath. Despite this, she couldn't totally relax because she knew this topic would come up eventually, Isabella wasn't going to abandon her best friend.

"Can you explain something for me?" Hunter asks this is the first thing either of them had said since getting out of the car. Isabella simply nods with her back to Hunter as she is trying to compose herself as best as she can.

Finally turning around, Hunter looks at her for a second before shifting to the side with an uncomfortable look on his face to reveal the most relaxed looking ginger cat, Tobias clearly didn't have a care in the world

"Tobias" Isabella scolds but Tobias simply looks up at her lazily, if cats could grin he would've been doing it. Isabella walks over to Tobias and picks him up and sits down with him on her lap, he instantly snuggles up into a ball while Hunter just looks on shocked.

"I found him by chance one day and he was tiny with no mother so I started to care for him just until he could look after himself but then I fell in love and he's still here" Isabella explains not taking her eyes off Tobias silently pleading with Hunter to let her keep him

"You want to bring him, don't you?" Hunter asks, anybody else there wouldn't even be a discussion about the cat but just watching how utterly in love Isabella was with Tobias was enough for him to suck it up and accept the damn cat even if he wished that was how she felt about him but he would have to wait for that.

"Oh, can I? Once you get to know him, you'll love him as much as I do" Isabella says in a high pitched, excited voice that Hunter could only smile at.

"We'll see," Hunter says apprehensively, Isabella starts to scoot closer to Hunter with Tobias in his arms but Hunter scoots further away, torn between wanting to be close to Isabella but wanting to be away from Tobias.

"Here, give me your hand" Isabella says almost in a whisper, her voice alone is enough to put him in a trance-like state so he does what she says and puts his hand in hers allowing her to put his hand on Tobias back, she places hers on top and starts to slowly move their hands back and forth causing Tobias to purr happily.

"See... he likes you" she grins her eyes shining brighter than they had since Hunter had met her

"I tell you what, one kiss on the cheek and you can bring him" Hunter smirks which instantly fills an almost relaxed Isabella with fear and nerves but she would do anything to Tobias and this was her mate, after all, it wasn't like it was just some random guy...

"Just one kiss on the cheek?" she asks, she wasn't ready yet for anything other than a kiss on the cheek, she wanted everything to be perfect with her mate when the time was right

"Yes... that's all I request for payment" Hunter grins turning his head, bending down slightly and gently tapping his cheek where he wanted the kiss

"Payment?" Isabella scoffs... she didn't want to pay for the right for her beloved cat to live with her when it was happening right here

"I'm just fooling around Isabella but you know you want to" he smiles, cheekily sticking his tongue out, continuing to tap his cheek

Although Hunter had leant down slightly she still had sit right up to reach his cheek until she managed to land a small kiss upon but before she knew it Hunter had gone back on what he had requested and turned his head to kiss her on the lips, the thing was... Isabella was kissing him back.