16

"So why are you here?" Hunter asks with narrowed eyes.

Almost as soon as Isabella had been introduced to Leila, Hunter had barked orders at everyone including the two most important girls in his life making them follow him to his office. Hunter had sat down in his chair while Leila fell down into a chair across the desk like she had done it a thousands times Isabella thought but then when she thought back to what Hunter had told her about Leila, she probably had fell into that exact chair at least a thousand times.

"Didn't get the decorators in when you became Alpha then?" she sneers with a smirk, it's hard for Isabella to distinguish what is a joke and what isn't because Leila's speech is borderline insults and jokes from a teasing, annoying, younger sister. 

"Why are you here Leila?" Hunter asks ignoring her verbal punch

"I told you, the day you dropped those whores and found your real mate I would come visit" she grins, glancing between her big brother and his now disgusted mate 

Isabella felt her stomach turn and a lump in her throat restricting her ability to breath. Whore? Isabella hadn't fully expected Hunter to wait for her as he was years older than her and might have thought he never would find his mate but there had been multiple girls and not serious relationships? Just one night stands?

A warning growl leaves Hunter's mouth as his eyes burn red simply from the reaction of Isabella. He could see the hurt on her face, usually, he would ignore everything his sister said even things like that when there were people in the room - they were his closest friends like Jackson his best friend and Beta. Jackson was there now looking strangely uncomfortable but like Hunter, it wasn't because of what Leila had said it was because of the look of betrayal on Isabella's face. Jackson had been by Hunter's side through his worse times where he was sleeping with a different girl every night and he was there now though his best times with Isabella at his side.

"Why are you so angry Hunter? You told Isabella about your past didn't you? Isn't that what you do with mates? You share everything?" She asked with wide, innocent eyes that no one believed to be true. Leila looks up at Isabella who forces a small smile on her face despite the quick, anxiety filled breaths she was having to take in order to remain in control of her own body.

Isabella had only ever wanted to get out of room so much once in her life back in her old pack but yet she forced herself to stay, if anything else was to be said -even though she didn't want too - she needed to hear it.

"Why are you here Leila?" he repeats before adding a threat shortly afterwards "And I'm warning you, get to the point or I will personally walk you right off of this pack land and you will not be coming back. I am not joking like dad would, I mean it"

"Well speaking of mates" she spits here eyes looking as though they were on fire through anger "I have found mine, I wanted you to meet him" she smiles sweetly either to fool them in forgetting what she had said minutes ago or because she was thinking about her mate

Isabella could now see why Hunter had such distaste in his sister but she kept her feet firmly planted on the ground, she couldn't see why Leila cared about what Hunter would think of her mate, she was clearly a very independent private girl who didn't share much with her family, not to mention she seemed set on destruction of her brother and the pack.

"Why would you care what I think?" he asks raising his eyebrows as he voices what Isabella is thinking

"So you could see how real mates act" she teases with a large smirk on her face but when Hunter growls angrily at her she holds her hands up in defence "Joke" she simply says before standing up and heading to the door 

Jackson puts his foot in front of the door so she can't get out but she just narrows her eyes at him.

"Move Dog" 

Jackson growls before closing his eyes to calm himself down by counting to ten but he does eventually move so she opens the door but before she can leave she turns back around

"Dinner. 8pm. I'll text you the address, I'd love to see you both there - And no doubt you standing on guard" she says confidently to them all, with one fleeting glance at all of them she leaves the room, slamming the door on her exit.

"Jackson do you mind..."Hunter starts but Jackson had a smile on his face

"Already going boss," he says his smile growing, there is a smile of friendship but it is also sympathy for the both of them, he knows just like the both of them that what Leila had just said could turn things ugly.

"Bella" Hunter whispers with pleading eyes, despite being angry at him Isabella couldn't help but feel a shiver run down her spine as his nickname that she had come to love so much rolled off his tongue 

"I don't want to hear it Hunter" she replies looking to the floor, she desperately wants to tell him everything's okay about the two of them but also his sister in general because she could still feel the anger radiating from him

"Don't hear it then, please just come here, I need you Bella" he mutters, Isabella glances up at her suddenly weak looking mate and she seems to lose control of her legs as she is walking to the other side of the desk into his open arms.

Hunter pulls Isabella onto his lap where she curls up in his arms with a content sigh, just for a couple of minutes so they could pretend like nothing had happened. Hunter presses his face into the crook of Isabella's neck, he greedily takes in deep breaths to take in her intoxicating scent which instantly starts to calm him down. After a couple of peaceful minutes, Isabella sits up to which both wolves whine in their owners heads.

"You're not forgiven," she says with hurt ladened eyes 

"I don't expect to be" he sighs with a small smile, one similar to the one Isabella had given Leila before 

"And this dinner tonight" she starts but Hunter presses his fingers to her soft lips to stop her, he pauses for a minute as his mind is clouded over with the thought of just kissing her there and now but he shakes his head to get rid of it.

"You don't need to come, I don't expect you too," Hunter says, his index finger running across Isabella's plump bottom lip which is equally as distracting to her as it is to him.

"I wish you'd shut up" she grins playfully "I was going to say, what should I wear?" 

The truth was, Isabella was going to tell Hunter that she didn't want to go. No, she was going to tell him she wasn't going whether he liked it or not but when he gave her the choice she changed her mind. 

A choice was something Isabella was never given so for Hunter to give her that freedom she wanted to go because she had chosen that decision. It had taken a long time but Isabella had realised that she was Hunter's mate, there was no changing that (Not that she wanted too) so she had to get on with it and accept him for his flaws like he would her and she had believed she had plenty for him to accept including her past. Being mates to Hunter also meant she was powerful, more powerful than she could ever have thought of a few short months ago but for them both to be this powerful they needed each other. Isabella had to stand by her mate even in the worst times even if it was just a dinner with his sister and her mate - 

Despite this, he still wasn't forgiven.