Chapter 4

Frisk POV

Finally, after hours and hours of walking, I reached Toriel's house. I still didn't know why she hadn't appeared at the start. Maybe it was related to the weird cracks?

There hadn't been another event like before the whole time I had been in the ruins. However, there were plenty of strange things going on.

For one thing, there were a lot less monsters. Usually I would get one or two battles per room, but this time I had gone halfway through before even getting one. Also, the monsters seemed a lot more tense than before. Almost all of them, including the Vegetiods, Looxes, and even Migosps, seemed more like Whimsuns with how scared they were.

But the monsters' personalities weren't the only things concerning me. Some monsters weren't even there at all. All of the Froggits that usually patrolled the area were gone. I was really scared that was why Toriel was missing.

Even simple things, like how the Ruins were laid out, were different. There were quite a few times where I would walk through a door and find myself in the same room again. This had happened right after my encounter with Napstablook. I walked into the next room and found myself back in the first for a second time.

Overall, it was safe to say things were pretty messed up.

But I didn't have enough information to figure out what was going on. The best I could do for the time being was stay determined.

I walked up to Toriel's door. There was a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach, almost as if I knew something bad was about to happen, even though there was nothing to prove it. I reached a hand up to the door and knocked.

Sans POV

The second I woke up, I knew something was wrong.

My eyesockets went pitch black as I looked around, surveying my surroundings. Nothing looked out of place. In fact, everything was perfectly normal. Nothing unusual at all.

But that didn't reassure me.

Deciding to check out what those cracks were all about, I quickly teleported to a spot far away from any monsters to observe. I probably could've walked, probably should've. But even when the world was breaking all around me, I always took pride in using as little effort as possible.

I looked down at a crack in the ground right in front of me. It was small in length, but pretty wide. Wide enough I could stick my hand in it. I focused, my left eye turning blue. Using this magic, I searched inside the crack to see if there was anything living. Nothing happened. If there was someone in there, my magic would have latched onto their soul, pulling it out.

Now that the issue of life was done, I needed to figure out what it was. I grabbed a handful of snow and sprinkled it inside. As soon as the snow hit the inky blackness that filled the crack, it disappeared.

Interesting

I needed to test this further.

Without skipping a beat, I teleported straight to my house. I threw the door open and raced to the kitchen, passing Papyrus who was staring at the clock waiting for his break to end.

"What the- Sans?"

"sorry bro, really busy. can't talk now."

It had been a really long time since I was this energetic. Papyrus looked very concerned. I grabbed a fork from one of the drawers and hurried over to the fridge.

"Aren't you supposed to be at your station? Sans! I told you not to slack off!"

I groaned in frustration, not being able to find anything that would work.

"i'm not slacking off. look," I said, pausing to look at Papyrus, "i'm exercising. see?"

I ran up the stairs to my room, sighing at the fact that all my lazy energy I'd been saving was wasted.

"While I appreciate your attempt at breaking that lazy habit of yours, I simply can't allow you to skip work like this!" Papyrus said, stomping his foot. "Speaking of work, my break is finally over. I'm going to head to my station. If I come over and find you slacking off, you are going to have a stern talking to!"

I barely understood what he said.

"yeah, okay. sure bro, have fun." I replied, shuffling through the drawers in my room throwing socks everywhere.

Papyrus huffed and walked out the door. The moment it closed, I found the perfect test subject. A small crab apple Papyrus had given me weeks ago as an attempt to get me to eat healthier. It was a good thing monster food didn't spoil.

I grinned, stuffed the fork into the apple, and teleported back again.

3rd person POV

The Doctor flew through the capitol as fast as possible, following the signal his screwdriver was picking up. He was completely oblivious to anything else going on around him. He pushed through crowds of monsters who were extremely startled at the sight of...

Well, he wasn't exactly human, but he sure looked like one.

It was only a matter of time before someone notified the Royal Guard.

Sirens blared throughout the capitol, alerting every monster to his presence. Mothers screamed, people ran into their houses. Nobody had actually seen a human before, but they all had heard stories of how dangerous they were. The Doctor looked up in confusion, before being tackled to the ground from behind.