Chapter 8

Frisk POV

As I walked into the next room, I was hit with a blast of cold air. I recognized the tall grass and the cliff to the side and knew this is the room I would meet Undyne in. I walked into the patch of grass and waited for Papyrus to come. Sure enough, he arrived and spoke with Undyne. They conversed for a few minutes before Papyrus left. I moved a little to catch Undyne's attention. It was only supposed to alert her for a few moments, but she did something unexpected.

"I know you're there, human."

I froze and held perfectly still.

"You don't want to come face me? Fine. Have it your way."

At that moment, Undyne summoned a spear into her hand along with many more pointing directly at me. With a flick of her wrist, she sent spear after spear after spear shooting directly at me. I let out a cry of shock and began to run. She chased me through several rooms before I reached an unavoidable obstacle. A small river running through as a puzzle.

"I have you now, Human! Come back here and fight me!"

I looked around for an escape route, but found nothing. The river was too wide for me to jump over, due to my really short legs, and all other passageways were either dead ends or led straight back to Undyne. I was about to give up when I saw a man in a blue suit with dark brown hair come running towards me. He lept over the river and grabbed my hand.

"Run!" He yelled before pulling me over the stream and together the two of us ran through Waterfall, finally managing to lose her.

Once we stopped running, I pulled my hand away and tried to catch my breath. Once I had mostly recovered, I tried to speak. "W-who are you?" I asked.

"I'm the Doctor." The man said.

"Are you a monster?" I asked. In all my previous resets, I had never met anyone who looked like him. He seemed human, but I didn't know whether I should trust him.

"Well, no not really," he said running a hand through his hair. "I'm actually not from here. Just on a visit. Why was that person, Undyne? That's her name, right? Why was she attacking you? You're just a kid!"

I stared at him. Does he really not know why monsters want to kill me? Who is he? "Well, they're trying to get a human soul, and I'm a human," I said simply. A flicker of understanding crossed the Doctor's face.

"Oh..." he said, "So that's why... okay. Well, I really need to get going. I had a favor I was doing for someone that I need to finish." He began to walk away briskly. I noticed he was heading toward the Snowdin area.

"Wait!" I shouted after him. "Where are you going?"

"Somewhere," he said, but I could hear a smile in his voice.

"Can I come with you?" I asked, running to catch up.

"If you want,"

"I've never seen you before, where did you come from?" I asked.

"It's... a long story. Filled with weird, wobbly-wobbly timey-wimey other-universy... stuff. I love saying that!"

"Wait, another universe? You're from another universe?" I asked in disbelief. I heard of jumping timelines and resetting, but never of alternate universes. Something stirred in my memory.

Beware of the man who came from the other world.

I bit my lip and kept walking. The Doctor had pulled a stick-like object out of his pocket and was messing with it while mumbling under his breath. I cleared my throat to get his attention.

"What sort of favor are you doing?" I asked.

"Well you see, I'm actually doing a little bit of an investigation here, something was triggering the alert on my sonic screwdriver, but it broke before I could find the source. It usually doesn't do this, which is why I really need to get it fixed. A monster called Gerson told me to retrieve something from a friend of his."

"Gerson?"

"You know him?"

"Yeah," I said. "I didn't know he had friends in Snowdin,"

"I think he said his friend was Sans?"

"Oh! I know him!" I said excitedly. "I didn't even know he knew Gerson! I can help, if you want."

"Alright," the Doctor said as the two of us continued walking toward Snowdin.

Sans POV

After saying goodbye to the kid, I decided it was time to go back and check on those cracks. I teleported to the area I had originally been testing and found the crab apple lying in the snow next to it. I picked it up and found to my surprise that the apple was perfectly normal. All traces of rotten fruit gone. I needed to test this further, but I didn't know how.

In retrospect, it probably is a very bad idea to stick your hand in a crack filled with an unknown substance that could possibly turn you to dust, but I wasn't too worried about it. After all, I wanted to know what would happen if a monster made contact with the crack, and since I couldn't test on any other monsters, I'd have to do. Besides, if anything went wrong, the kid was likely gonna reset anyway so I'd be fine.

The moment my hand passed into the crack, my whole arm began to feel like it was on fire. I yanked it out and noticed it was covered in a black, tar-like substance, which was rapidly melting away as it hit the outside air. I was about to teleport back to the house to grab some more supplies when something unexpected happened. A horrible sound began to resonate from the crack, soft at first, but growing louder and louder. It was indescribable. A combination of nails on a chalkboard and television static with strange garbles of what sounded like speaking.

I knew exactly what this was.

Memories started bubbling to the surface of my thoughts. The sounds of papers being flung into the air in triumph, a voice shouting excitedly. The fizzing of chemicals reacting with one another. The smell of burning fabric combined with the sight of an explosion, followed by laughter. A pair of fluttering hands, one hole in each, signing words very few monsters could understand.

My eyesockets went dark. No, this wasn't supposed to be happening. It had been years since the fall. He wasn't supposed to be around.

...
💧︎✌︎☠︎💧
...

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want this to happen. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him to come back. But I didn't want to mess things up more than they already were. I teleported away from the crack, back to home.

That was enough science for one day.