Chapter 18

Without blueprints or the correct supplies, progress went incredibly slow on the machines this time around. Devices, like the timeline monitor, were completely impossible to build without the correct equipment. Even though Alphys had been extremely helpful in letting them use some of the old machinery in her lab, (with the exception of the true lab, which the Doctor still had no clue about.) There still wasn't much that could be done. The cracks were growing even faster and news of certain places in the underground completely disappearing were more and more frequent. One day, as the three of them were experimenting with one of the cracks in the Hotland area, something finally happened.

"Oh!" The Doctor shouted, pointing his sonic at a large fracture in the ground. "I think we've got something."

"What is it?" Frisk asked, crouching down to see what he was doing.

"I'm not sure yet," he pressed the button a few more times causing several different frequencies of sound. He then brought it up to eye level and flicked it so it opened. None of the readings on the sonic made any sense to anyone, so his sudden laugh of excitement and immediate dash back towards the lab were met with complete confusion. However, Frisk and Sans still decided to follow him and were completely exhausted by the time they reached their destination. The Doctor, however, was grabbing every bit of metal he could find and piecing it together to form one large... thing. He held his screwdriver in his mouth and didn't even take it out for more than three seconds as he explained what had happened.

"The sonic picked up some new readings!" He exclaimed as he pulled the screwdriver from his teeth to attach a large piece of metal to whatever he was building. "It caught something none of us had even thought of. Time energy! Whatever this void is, it has something to do with time. What do we know about the cracks?" He asked, suddenly spinning around to face them. The two of them just stood with blank expressions on their faces, startled by the sudden burst of energy from the Doctor.

"Come on!" He shouted, "Think! What happens when someone gets sucked into the void?"

"Nobody remembers them," Frisk said.

"Bingo!" The Doctor said, adding more onto the machine. "Whatever happens to them while in the void causes them to be completely forgotten by everyone. They've been erased from existence. Removed from their own timestream. Unless I'm mistaken, there's only been one creature that has that kind of power and do you know what they used? Time energy. Something in that void is taking the energy of the monsters and using it for its own gain."

"so what can we do about it?" Sans asked.

"That's where this comes in," the Doctor said, "I'm creating a device that can allow me to channel a certain amount of time energy into the void. It will open a large crack which we use to feed the energy into. This will cause the ratio of the energy to void to become out of sync and hopefully it will close any remaining cracks permanently."

"So we're making one big crack to stop all the little ones?" Frisk asked. The Doctor nodded. "Then let's get started."

With their sudden understanding of the void and what it was doing, they began to work much faster. Every bit of machinery they could find was pieced together until the finished product stood in front of them; a massive mound of equipment. Finally, it was time to put their plan to action.

Frisk's POV

It had been decided that the Doctor would run the machine, Sans would monitor the stability readings, and I would hit the shutdown switch in case anything bad happened. As we began the preparations, everyone was obviously having second thoughts.

"Ready?" The Doctor asked from across the room where he was supposed to start the machine.

"not really," Sans replied from his station.