Chapter 12

"Alphys! Are you there?"

Undyne's voice came from behind the door, accompanied with more pounding knocks. Alphys stood up with a wide smile on her face before turning towards the other three.

"Um. You guys m-might want to hide. I d-don't think she'd be very happy to s-see you all."

Frisk nodded, grabbed both Sans and The Doctor's sleeves, and pushed them behind a giant filing cabinet. It was the perfect hiding spot. Just out of sight, but perfect for listening in on conversations. Just as they all finished hiding, the sounds of the door opening and Undyne stepping inside filled the air.

"U-Undyne!" Alphys said happily. "H-hi!"

"Hey, Alphys," Undyne said. "I came to ask if you've seen any humans running around here. I saw one earlier but they ran away."

"N-no," Alphys lied, her stutter becoming worse. "I-I haven't s-seen a-anyone. Um... H-how's it g-going b-back at the C-Capitol?"

Undyne sighed. "We haven't caught sight of the other one either. He just seems to keep vanishing. But don't worry! The second I find him, I'll be sure to kick his-"

"What a-about the b-box thing you w-were telling me a-about?"

"The blue box we found in the palace?" Undyne clarified. The Doctor stiffened in his hiding place. "We're still not sure quite what it is. The door is locked and all the windows are tinted so we can't see in. It's also been making some really weird noises. I sent some of my sentries to keep an eye on it, but I haven't heard back from them. As of right now, it's being classified as a 'dangerous unknown object'. Nobody is being allowed to even go near it until we figure out what it is."

"Th-that's good," Alphys said, "We w-wouldn't want anyone to get h-hurt by it."

"Yeah. So, anyway, I was wondering if I could borrow-"

She was cut off abruptly by a loud ringing sound.

"Sorry," she said to Alphys who seemed to have fallen to the floor in surprise. "It's one of the Snowdin guard." She opened her phone. "Hello? ... Slow down! I can hardly hear a word you're saying! ... So they were in Snowdin? You saw them? ... No? Just the scent? ... Alright. I'll meet up with them again in Waterfall. Make sure that Papyrus stays put. I don't want him getting involved in all this human business. I'm on my way." There was a click as Undyne put the phone away.

"Sorry, Alphys. One of the sentries caught scent of a human soul near Snowdin forest. I gotta go. Make sure to have that new anime I found ready for when I get back!"

"No p-problem, Undyne!"

There was the sound of the front door closing and Alphys walking over to them. "Y-you can come out, n-now."

Slowly, the three of them managed to climb out from behind the filing cabinet.

"So they've got the TARDIS," The Doctor said quietly, running a hand through his hair.

"The what-now?" Asked Frisk.

"TARDIS. Time And Relative Dimension In Space. It's the thing I travel with. At least it's not the first time something like this has happened."

"T-time and space?" Alphys asked incredulously. "B-but travel in those conditions is not scientifically possible! It causes rips in the very fabric of reality!"

"So kinda like a reset?" Frisk asked, shifting uncomfortably at the look Sans gave them.

"A what?" asked The Doctor.

"it's not really important," Sans answered before Frisk could speak. "anyway, alphys, do you by any chance have any research on determination that we could borrow? it might come in handy with what we're working on."

"Y-yeah. I think I've-"

At that moment, a bunch of loud noises filled the air. Some resembled the screeching of birds, others sounded like claws scratching on furniture. After a moment, they all stopped and everything was silent. Everyone immediately turned to look at Alphys, who's face had gone incredibly pale.

"J-just a p-p-project I-I'm w-working on," she said, visibly shaking. "The m-machines make th-those noises s-sometimes,"

Frisk nodded. "Maybe we should go," they suggested, already beginning to lead the other two back to the door.

"But-" The Doctor began to protest, but received an elbow to the ribs from Frisk signalling to be quiet.

"thanks again, alphys," Sans said.

"B-bye, everyone," Alphys said, still looking incredibly nervous.

The three of them walked out of the lab, the door closing behind them.

"What was that all about?" The Doctor asked furiously. "Those noises were not machines. I know the sound of machines and they were not even close. We need to go back and figure what is going on-"

"No we don't." Frisk said flatly, cutting him off. "Trust me, it's not the right place or time to investigate that mystery."

The Doctor still looked frustrated, but he managed to calm down. "So what's next?"

"Well, first we need to-" Frisk paused and looked around. "Wait, where are all the machine pieces?"

"already taken care of. i sent them back to the house." Sans said.

"Alright then," The Doctor said. "Should we head back and start building then?"

"actually, i had a different idea. we've seen so far that the cracks effect natural objects like trees and rocks and stuff, but so they effect monster-made structures?"

"Such as?"

"we should go check the CORE."