Chapter 17

It was a tough job finding a new area to work. Even though all the progress that had been made in Sans' lab was destroyed, the cracks were still there and they needed to be dealt with. Alphys had been gracious enough to allow Sans, Papyrus, Frisk, and the Doctor to stay in her lab for the time being, but they desperately needed some space.

"We need somewhere these cracks won't be able to find us," the Doctor said, pacing the floor of the lab's second story. Frisk sat on a desk behind him and Sans had found a particularly comfortable spot on the ground where he could easily take a short nap.

"And somewhere where we won't be bothered," Frisk added with a sigh. Finding a place like that would be difficult on its own. All the inhabitants of Snowdin had to be relocated and with the current problem of overcrowding in the capital, things had only gotten worse. Monsters were living with twice the usual amount of people and specific areas with high infestations of rifts had been deemed "unsuitable for life" and were banned, making living spaces incredibly difficult to come by. Mettaton for instance, was absolutely furious when his stage was declared "off limits" due to the overwhelming amount of cracks in it. Papyrus, of course, had immediately taken Mettaton's side, considering he was his favorite celebrity. The frequent rantings of "They had absolutely no right to take the stage from him!" and "Mettaton deserves better than this!" had put everyone on edge, so when Alphys had announced that Mettaton would be staying with them, it put everyone's spirits at an all-time low.

"i think it's safe to say we're stuck in a pretty bad position here," Sans said, rolling over to be face-down on the floor, which caused his voice to be muffled. "i don't even have enough energy to pun right now."

"Okay, let's think," Frisk said, "Has there been any place in the Underground that nobody ever goes to?"

"all i'm thinking of is the quiche area, but a: it's too small, and b: it's off-limits," Sans replied. Frisk suddenly frowned down at the floor and their eyes widened. "you got anything, kiddo?"

"Maybe," Frisk said, jumping off the desk and walking towards the door. They grabbed the handle. "I'll be right back," They opened the door and walked out of the room, down the stairs, and out the lab entrance toward Waterfall.

As they walked, the bumped into at least a dozen people. It wasn't easy navigating the new crowds, especially since they were less than half most monster's size, but Frisk eventually managed to reach their destination. Usually this place would not exist, but due to all the recent catastrophes with space and time, Frisk was not surprised when they came face-to-face with a large gray door in one of the hallways of Waterfall. With a deep breath, they pushed it open.

Nobody was there. The walls were a deep gray color, but other than that, Frisk was the only interesting thing in that room. They had been here a few times before in different timelines, but usually the figure of a tall, skeletal monster sat in the center of the room. Nobody was there now. Frisk examined the room carefully to check for any cracks, and to their satisfaction found none. They then pushed open the door and exited, silently hoping that it wouldn't disappear after they left.

It didn't.

With a huge grin now on their face, Frisk ran back through Waterfall and straight to the lab to tell the others what they had found.

"I found a spot!" The shouted excitedly, pushing the door open. Sans and the Doctor looked up from what they were doing.

"Really?" The Doctor asked, "Where?"

"In a hallway in Waterfall. There's this big gray door where we can work. Come on! I'll show you."

With that, they dashed out of the room again. The Doctor grinned, stuffed his screwdriver in his pocket, and ran out also, yelling "Allons-y!" as he ran. It took Sans a few minutes to gather up enough energy to follow, but eventually he did and the three of them went to find the gray door.

"Here we are," Frisk said when they finally made it. The Doctor walked up to the door and pushed against it, causing it to open. The room was exactly the same as before.

"I think this will work," the Doctor said with a smile, "Let's start working."