Capítulo Diez (CHAPTER X)

We were merrily gathered in the dining table, enjoying our dinner and listening to Señor Francisco's recollection of how he had met his wife, Señora Teodora. He recounted that they had met in several gatherings before at their young age, and as he said it, he instantly fell in love with her like the attraction of a bee to a flower. They had gotten married to each other when she reached 20. They had eleven children, which I was not surprised to hear since I had already done research on them before. But hearing the story being told in actuality is different from what I had read. Their 8th child, Conception or Concha died at the age of three.

I noticed Rizal's reaction and the look on his face. His mother told us that it had greatly saddened him. The mood turned solemn until Señora Teodora told us about how she gave birth to Rizal. She recalled that it was the worst childbirth she had performed out of her eleven children. Considering the fact that they don't have the proper tools and the kind of anesthetic we have in our days, ouch! She's a strong woman. I smiled at her admirably and blushed when she returned my smile. She enlightened the reason of her pain was Rizal's big head and Paciano made a teasing remark on how it had grown so big that you would need to pop it with a sewing needle. The table became filled with laughter after that.

As we were concluding our meal, a knock came on the door and Ypia went to answer it. She returned with a young woman who had innocent features. She had the curious eyes of a cat, a small pointed nose, and a slightly parted mouth that completes the innocent look. Her hair is in a beautifully bun decorated with wooden sticks with carved ornaments dangling at the end. I admired her striking clothes made of colorful fabrics with embroidered patterns. Her olive skin shimmered in the candlelight. She gave us all a smile and I saw that she had dimples on each side of the cheek.

"Tito! Tita!" She exclaimed. "How have you been?"

She rushed over to Señor Francisco and Señora Teodora, took their hands and raised it to her forehead, or what is called "mano po." A typical Filipino tradition.

"Ysabelle! It is good to see you." Señora Teodora gushed and gave her an embrace.

"When did you arrive? Is your father with you?" Señor Francisco asked.

My brain tuned out the conversation. I side glanced at Rizal. He had a smile plastered on his face and had his eyes directed towards her. I bit my bottom lip and stared at the food infront of me as if it's the most interesting thing in the whole world. She reminded me of Maria Josephine Pearl and it gave me shivers. It's like the Christoph and Pearl thing all over again. She isn't really pretty. I mean, if you compare her to Maria Josephine, she's only a strand of Josephine's hair. Not that my jealousy had anything to do with my better judgment. I will not let this get to me. I convinced myself.

"Jose! There you are!" I heard her sultry voice and she came to our side of the table. Rizal stood up to give her a bow and kiss on the hand.

"It is nice to see you Ysabelle." Rizal said with what I think is affection. I smoothed the pleats of my skirt. I had changed into my usual clothes for the evening choosing a canary yellow laced top and a knee length, aquamarine pleated skirt. Everyone had complimented the color.

"I wasn't notified of your arrival." She said in an accusing tone and her eyes narrowed at him.

"My apologies, dear Ysabelle, we have been very busy these days." Rizal explained.

"We have a guest!" Choleng announced and I froze in my seat.

"Yes, I was about to mention that." Rizal acknowledged the comment.

"Oh yes, how rude of us to—" Señora Teodora said placing her candle-like fingers on her mouth. I could feel that Ysabelle is a frequent visitor to them, but I can't recall reading anything about her. She seems really close to them.