EpílogoI (Epilogue)

EpílogoI (Epilogue)

I can't accept it. I just can't sit around and wait for everything to happen, for him to die. I am bombarded by thoughts the entire night. I have tried to come up with a reason on how to save him, but no matter what angle I look upon, it will always end the same, with him dead or both of us.

The clock told me I have an hour before sunrise.Today is the day he will be shot in Bagumbayan, or modernly known as Rizal Park nowadays. I have to go there.I don't care no matter what happens to me or to history. All I know is that I must go.

I changed my clothes, applied a glaze of lip balm,stuffed a few bills into my jeans pocket, along with the letter and grabbed my phone. Traffic would be a problem if I were to ride the cabs. The LRT would not be congested with people at this hour, and it would be faster. I sprinted down our stairs and smelled freshly brewed coffee. I realized I needed to have something to give me energy since I hadn't slept a wink. I detoured into the kitchen and saw my father reading the morning paper, which is being delivered to us before the break of dawn.

"Why are you up so early?" He asked me without looking up from his page. I hesitated to answer him since I didn't know what to say

"Dad, do you believe in fate?" I asked him insteadand poured myself a cup of coffee. He lowered his newspaper and looked at me in a thoughtful way.

"I do, but I believe that you should make your own fate. A man's destiny is the result of his actions and choices.It doesn't mean you have only one road, one choice and one fate. There are forks in the road everyday and which path to take is your choice and yours alone. Each thing you do along the way changes your future." My dad answered. "What does this have to do with you being up early?"

"Everything," I nodded and sipped my coffee. The heat scalded a portion of my tongue but I ignored it. Nothing else mattered but him.

"Where are you going?" My father asked me when I finished sipping my cup empty.

"Luneta." I told him and turned to leave.

"Val," He called me and I turned to face him. "Your mother and I love you very much."

"I know, dad." I smiled and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"I love you, too."I left the house and rode a cab to the nearest LRT station . There are five more stops till the end of the line, and then I can catch a cab to take me to Luneta.

***

My destination is drawing near. I looked upon the scenes as if I am out of my physical vessel. I could feel my feet getting numb, but my heart remained vigilant and calm.I gaze swept around the field, and searched the crowds for the face of my beloved, my Valentina. I feel her presence but I could not see her.

I am led into the grassy quadrangle surrounded by soldiers. My firing squad stands on the south ready to deliver furious bullets into me. The thought terrified me. Nevertheless, I had already expected this to ensue.

For a moment, I thought I could hear her voice, she is calling my name. She is crying out for me. My eyes wandered over the crowds in search of her, but she is nowhere to be seen. I felt the ropes being untied from myhands.

"May I face the squad?" I asked the commander. Ifshe is here then I wish to see her. She is my strength, after all.I rubbed the ring she had given me with my thumb. I can definitely sense that she is here.

The commander shook his head denying my request.

"Then please spare my head." I plead. He nodded in agreement. I turned my back to the squad. A physician came up to me to feel my pulse. I saw his astonished expression when his fingers left my neck and gave him a smile.