Capitulo Uno (Chapter i)

Capitulo Uno

Chapter I

"Hey Val!" my friend Adele hissed at me two rows away. I snapped out of my daydream and raised my brows at her.

What I mouthed in reply. She asked her seatmate to pass the note she scribbled on to me. I rolled my eyes at her. Typical Adele, she always pulls things like this and it never ceases to get me in trouble. I mean, why me and not her? I'm the victim here.

I opened the symmetrically folded note and almost let out a giggle. Adele drew a cartoon version of Madame Miriam Torio, our Rizal subject teacher, with an exaggerated puffy lip smile and shimmery braces looking at Jose Rizal, who is our country's National hero. Madame Adele has this ultimate love arrow aimed by Cupid himself or perhaps it was miss aimed? She has an undying love for Jose Rizal, which is probably why she teaches the subject.

I don't get it. I mean, I'm happy that Jose Rizal was the catalyst in our country's liberation but I just don't understand why we need to have a whole subject about him. I mean, come on! Ask any Filipino who Jose Rizal is and what he did for our country, and they would tell you tall tales that maybe has some teeny bit of reality to it based on history, but it still all comes down to the guy who wrote two novels about what the Spaniard did when they were still in our country centuries ago and died of it. And to top that off, he even tried to take the bullet in his heart, or so I know. It's all so melodramatic, if you ask me. I don't find what he did special. He hid behind his writing like how a guy who would want to break up with you sends you a text instead of facing you head on. Yeah, right.

I glanced at Adele's note again and saw the scribbling at the bottom.

I can't bear listening to Madame Miriam yap about Jose Rizal! I'm going to excuse myself to the restroom, and you better follow me if you don't want to turn into a living zombie.

This time I can't help laughing. Definitely a wrong move, because Madame Miriam snatched the note from my hand. I cringe and prepared myself for my first official public humiliation. Madame Miriam opened her mouth to speak when the bell rang signaling the end of morning classes. I quickly grabbed my bag and books and raced out the door.

"Miss Valentina David! I suggest you take this class seriously—" I heard her trail off.

Adele caught up to me laughing hysterically.

"That was close! You almost got –" she started but I cut her off.

"All thanks to you." I frowned. She apologized and I knew I'd always let things slide. So we headed to the school cafeteria for lunch.

 ***

"So... Who're you melting with that hot stare of yours?" Adele asked me while we were eating. I had my eyes glued on Christoph. He's heaven and I'm earth. I would never have the courage to speak to him in a million years.

"No one in particular, why?" I shrugged and sipped my diet Coke. Ach! I hate the taste of this. It's like Coke diluted in water. Adele winked at me and waved to grab Christoph's attention. He stared at her, and I immediately succumbed to my seat.

Oh no! This isn't happening. He smiled and walked over to our table. It was a long walk, considering he was at the far left end side of the cafeteria that had a garden view and where all the fresh breeze would come in. Our table on the other hand was near the entrance on the corner right, where the lights are dim and the tables are filled with graffiti doodles and what you would likely call vandalism. It's not like we had a choice. All the good seats are taken if you're a second late in coming to the cafeteria. As for the best garden view seats, it is reserved for the kings and queens of this school. I doubt I am lower than a peasant to their eyes.