Capítulo Dos (Chapter II)

CHAPTER II

Capítulo Dos

The next day, I sat through my Rizal class avoiding everyone's stares. I haven't seen Adele anywhere. I just want to go through the morning like a normal day and hurry to the room where I met him. What am I saying? I thought back to what happened yesterday. It was really sweet of him. He sincerely listened to me and even wanted to stand up for me. Who does that? There is something about him thought that is so familiar. I just can't place my finger on it.

My thoughts were interrupted when Ma'am Natividad entered the room. Another boring Rizal discussion. I rummaged through my bag to search for the handkerchief he lent me. I washed it rigorously last night and ironed it so that the ends would meet each other perfectly. I smiled to myself at the thought of meeting him to return the handkerchief. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it. I must have left it in my bed this morning because of my rushing. Maybe I can keep it for one more day.

Ma'am Natividad was discussing about Rizal's childhood and school life in Ateneo. He seemed to top every class with a grade of excellent. He also got into a bunch of fights in his younger years. Ma'am Natividad explained that he wasn't really interested in fighting but he never backed out of a challenge. Then why did he write instead of participate in the revolution head on? I don't understand whether our historians are only exaggerating about our national hero or if there is really a person like that.

Time ticked like a turtle walking in the desert. I was losing interest and it was getting hotter as it neared noon. I was about to give in and fall asleep when the bell rang. I hurriedly grabbed my bag and books and dashed into the cafeteria. I want to be there before everyone, including the gods.

I paid for my sandwich and bottled iced tea and went to search for the room at the end of the hallway. There it is. I saw the old carved Narra door. I turned the lock to open it but it won't budge. I frowned. I had no problem with it yesterday. I tried peeking through the small crack in the wall. The room was dark. I guess he hasn't arrived yet. I took a seat on the floor and decided to wait for him. Fifteen minutes passed by and still no sign of him. My stomach growled at me angrily. Sighing, I unwrapped my sandwich and gobbled it up, draining my iced tea in one gulp. Thirty minutes passed and I'm still sitting here.

Maybe he won't be coming today. Or maybe he still has class. Maybe he went out for lunch. I conjured up many maybes in my mind for five more minutes. I accepted the fact that he won't be coming and stood up sighing my disappointment.

What do you expect? I asked myself. I'll try again tomorrow. Besides, I don't have his handkerchief with me. What would he think if I didn't return it? Not that I want to keep it. Then again, I do.

The next day, right after the bell rang, I hurriedly went to the hall where the old carved Narra door stood. I was clutching a lunchbox in one hand and my books on the other. I have to let one go so that I could open the door. I tucked my books under my arm and tried turning the knob. To my delight, it eased open like the first day I came in.

I stared into the room. Sunlit and breezy like it was, and it smelled of flowers, too. I scanned the room but saw no one there.

"Hello? Are you here?"‖ I asked. My voice echoed throughout the room, reverberating from the shelves and shelves of old books. No one answered so I decided to take a seat on the chair nearest the window. I waited for a while. The door was open, which means he might have been here and will be coming back.

I took a look around the room. There were so many books, and they were just so old. I love to read, but I dare not dream of reading old books that will suddenly dissolve in my hand. I remembered what he said. He loves the books and this place, that he even voluntarily cleaned this place by himself. Well, maybe I could help him. Just to say thanks for listening to me, and maybe at least have a reason to stay.