Nothing

Ashton's POV:  "I've never met a person like Claire in my life.  She loves Sundays and hates sand.  She can listen to the same song 6 times in a row and still find a new riff or lyric to love each time it plays.  She only drives with the windows down.  She smiles even when she thinks no one is looking, and when she smiles... God... It's like all the stars and planets have paused in just this perfect spot to create a ray of immaculate light right here on Earth in her little, beautiful smile.  I've never known a bigger know-it-all or a wiser girl in my life.  When she looks at you, it's like she can see you.  Like actually see you.  Even when you don't want to be seen.  Even when you think you are too despicable to be given a second glance.  She sees you, and she doesn't look away.  She's a second chance.  She's a perfect day even when it rains.  She's the glimmer of hope in the wake of a storm."  I paused and breathed hard.  "But... No.  She's not a perfect day.  She was a perfect day.  She can't see you.  She saw you.  She doesn't love Sundays.  She loved Sundays.  And I loved her."  My voice caught.  

I glanced up at the handkerchiefs and flowers and black dresses.  At the mahogany wood and the silent organ.  I lowered my eyes to the paper in my hands which had no words left for me to say.  Images stopped coming in clearly from my eyes to my head.  I blinked away the blur and laugh Marie's gaze.  Not one tear fell from her eye.  She looked defiant.  Strong.  Resistant.  I crumpled the paper in my hands.

"But... No," I said again.  "I love her.  And not a bullet, not a funeral, not a coffin... Nothing will change that."

And I walked away.  Out of the battle.  Into the aftermath.

Better late than never.

Thanks for reading.

xx, MCG