My Better Judgement

Ash's POV- I sleep in the next morning. Sun is streaming through my window when my eyes finally open. Michael wants us to finish unpacking today. Claire is going to have to wait.
I find Michael yawning over leftover Chinese in the kitchen. "Let's get going!" I say.
"Why so eager?"
"I want to get done fast," I reply, glancing at the clock.
He smirks. "Seeing her again today?"
I don't answer. I just smile. He doesn't.
"I'm worried about you, Ash."
"Why? I'm fine!"
"No, you're not! Remember what you just went through?"
I do remember. I remember why we moved. I just don't want to remember.
"I don't want to be alone."
"I know. I understand. But for now, I don't think Claire is worth the risk. What if she finds out about what we did?"
"But it was an accident!"
"You can tell her that all you want, Ashton, but don't expect her to listen!"
"It- it was an accident," I repeat weakly, sinking into a chair.
Michael's voice softens. "I don't want to fight about it. I know it was an accident, but it happened."
"Michael, I'm so sorry. I never thought anyone was going to get hurt."
"I know. It's not your fault."
The events of the past few months have hurt a lot of people. As I think about it more, they have hurt me as well. Maybe not perusing Claire would keep her from getting hurt too. I just don't know if I can do that. She's everything I want but the opposite of what I need.
"Let's just unpack," I mumble, turning away.
"Ashton!" Michael calls. I stop. "I just don't want to see you in that much pain again."
I walk away leaving my past, Michael, and my better judgement behind me.
Claire's POV- "The party is Friday, Claire! Get. Up. We have to clean!"
I shove my pillow over my head. "I don't wanna!"
"I don't care!" calls Marie's muffled voice from down the ladder.
"But if I clean it means I'm okay with having a bunch of barely-tolerable people roaming about my place of living!"
"OUR place of living!" corrects the voice. "And I understand you aren't okay with it, but not being around people isn't a good thing!"
"I was around a person last night!"
"Ashton doesn't count!"
"Why? Is he not a human?"
"Well he's coming to the party, so at least clean up for him!"
"I don't want him to see our house completely clean. It feels like a lie. Besides, everything is always basically clean! That's the first thing he said when he came over the other day!"
I hear he exasperated sigh. "I'll buy you ice cream!"
"I hate ice cream, Marie."
"Gah, Claire! I'll buy you pie! As much pie as you want!"
I stay silent for a second, considering her offer. "Really?"
"Yes."
"Pinky swear?"
"You are such a child!"
"PINKY SWEAR?"
"Yes! Just get down here!"
I finally surrender and climb down to help Marie. I was expecting a new tee shirt or something but pie is better. I dust and vacuum and take a snack break and mop and dust again for whatever reason until the house is spotless. "Happy?" I ask, collapsing on the couch.
"Yes," Marie smiles. "Wanna go get pie right now?"
I immediately jump up and head toward the door. When I open it, I see Ashton's hand an inch away from the doorbell. "Oh! Hi!"
"Hi!" I smile.
"Heyyy!" says Marie, leaning around me.
"We were going to get pie. Wanna come?" I offer.
"I like pie," he replies.
"Me too," I giggle.
"I also enjoy pie," Marie says. I elbow her in the ribs and step out the door. "I'll drive, but I'm not chaperoning some middle school date. I will not third wheel, sit at a separate table, stay out of the conversation, or let you kiss in my presence in public. It makes me look sad. Agreed?" Marie says, locking the door.
I feel my face redden, but Ashton just laughs. "I don't know if I can agree to the last one." He pecks a kiss on my cheek.
"I regret this already," Marie groans, heading for the car. I start to get in the back with Ashton, but she stops me. "No. Front seat."
"You're worse than my sisters!" I groan.
"Honey, no one is worse than your sisters when it comes to you and dates." This is very true. They have driven me on a couple occasions or met my boyfriends and done their very best to embarrass me in any possible ways they could.
Thus begins one of the most awkward car rides of my life. No one talks the entire ride. The only thing on my mind is the seat 2 feet behind mine. I can't see him, but he's there, and for some reason that makes me smile in spite of myself.
When we pull up to Aggie's Diner, all of us jump out of the car faster than I believed possible. "This place is great," I tell Ashton as the bell by the door rings.
As we order, I realize I know everyone in the little diner. We have a conversation with our waitress for like 20 minutes, and I used to babysit for the family at the table beside ours. Ashton doesn't know anyone. I'm all he has.
"So... uh... have you met anyone since you moved?"
"I met you guys!" he smiles.
"You'll meet people Friday night," says Marie.
I groan again. "Mariiieee! No one cares about our- what did you call it again? 'Subdued, Social Soirée?'"
Ashton stifles a laugh.
"Look, Claire. I know you don't care, but I do. I'm having this party for me. Not you. Lately you're the only person I've been hanging out with, and now you bring a date to something we're doing together? Really? I'm having this party so I can remember what it feels like to be around people again. Let's just go." She stands and walks toward the door. Ashton follows right behind her. This party is gonna suck.