Alright

Ashton's POV: I stare at the clock shining into the living room from the kitchen, the green numbers looking like a senseless blur to my weary eyes. As tired as I am, sleep won't come. I'm about to give up on getting any rest at all when I hear a sound.

"Hello?" I whisper into the darkness.

"Ashton? Why are you still up?" Marie asks, entering the living room.

"Couldn't sleep. Why are you up?"

"I usually wake up and need water around this time."

"What time is it?" I yawn.

"Three. Can't you see the clock?"

"Yes but I can't- whatever. Sorry to disturb you."

"You aren't disturbing me, but I can tell something's up with you. What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

Marie raises an eyebrow. "Claire can lie. You can't. What's wrong, Ashton?"

"It's just... Isn't it a little weird Claire didn't tell me she lived in New York? Is she hiding something?"

Marie smiles sadly. "Come to the kitchen. I'll make us some tea."

In the kitchen at 3:07 am with tea steeping in chipped mugs, I hear the truth about Claire's past. Orphaned twice. Separated from her sisters. Another orphanage.

"Why wouldn't she tell me?"

"She doesn't like to talk about it."

"Who doesn't like to talk about what?" Claire asks, walking in with a blanket wrapped around her.

///////////

Claire's POV: "Uh you don't like talking about your... mini golf skills!" Marie says.

"Yeah, Marie says you're awful!" Ashton laughs.

"Marie! I told you not to speak about that!" I hit her arm playfully. "So I just came down to get some tea, but it looks like I'm not the only one."

"I'm actually gonna go back to bed, so you can have mine," Marie offers then slips out of the room.

"Ashton, what's wrong?"

"Why would you think something's wrong?"

"Because you haven't looked me in the eye since I came in here."

He lowers his head. "Marie told me about your childhood."

"She what?"

"She told me about your adoption and everything."

"Why?"

"Because I asked her about-"

"But why would you ask her? It's my story to tell, and I'll tell you when I'm ready!" I yell.

"Are you blaming me?" he cries.

"Well I don't remember you asking me about any of this, so I don't understand why you would ask Marie behind my back! I wouldn't do that to you!"

"I had no idea what she was going to get into! I asked why you wouldn't tell me you lived in New York!"

"Who even told you I lived there?" I yell back.

"Your other boyfriend!"

"Luke?" I ask, incredulous.

"Who else? He said he knew you from New York which made me feel real great since I didn't even know you'd ever been there!" I can see the hurt in his eyes. He's heard a lot tonight. It's not his fault.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. "I tried to block out all of that. Including Luke if that makes you feel any better. I just thought with you I could completely start over. A clean slate. You know what I mean?"

He nods. "I'm sorry for yelling at you."

"Me too."

He wraps his arms around me and holds me. I can hear his heart beating. "Ashton?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you... Are you hiding something? You've just acted kinda weird about some stuff and-"

"No, of course not! Don't be ridiculous!"

He's lying to me.

"You're going to make sure Luke leaves, right?" he asks.

"He's like family to me, babe! It's not just that simple!" I pull out of his embrace and look at him. "I can't push away the only person that really gets me."

As soon as I say it I regret it. The words hit Ashton like a bullet. His eyes go down. He steps back and nods then leaves the kitchen.

"Ashton!" I call after him. "I didn't mean-"

"No, I get it," he says, his voice breaking a bit.

"Babe-"

"It's okay. I'm just going to go to sleep now," he says softly, already on the couch.

"I love you," I say.

"Alright."

Then I leave.