Love?

Ashton's POV: "We should be home before Christmas if all goes as planned," I say. Claire nods, turning her suitcase around in circles on its wheels. Luke, Calum, and Michael take it from her hands and to the trunk with the other luggage.

She looks hurt. Wounded. "I'm sorry you and Marie didn't part on good terms," I say quietly, putting my arms around her waist.

"She's never gonna talk to me again. She's my best friend."

"I'm sorry," I whisper, rubbing circles on her back as she leans into my chest. "This trip... it could be dangerous. If anything happens-"

"Nothing's gonna happen, Ashton! You're strong. I trust you."

I bite my lip. I don't know what to expect. I could get thrown in jail. Or worse. I'm only bringing her because if I didn't she would never trust me. She needs to see every part of my past.

//

On the plane, I sit between Claire and Michael. Luke, Calum, and a stranger sit behind us. Claire's eyes are glued to the window. "I hate flying," she murmurs.

"Why?"

"It reminds me of being sent away when I was a kid. That was my first time on a plane and the last time to see my sisters."

I stay silent, not sure of what I could possibly say to that. Luke speaks up from behind us, "Claire, remember when you and me got lost in an airport when we were little?"

She smiles a little.

He continues, "Our foster family went because we were saying goodbye to one of the girls going to college then we accidentally got in line for security, and when they asked for our boarding passes you-"

"I said 'We're not bored. We're lost,'" Claire finishes, laughing and oblivious to the plane lifting into the air.

Luke isn't completely worthless I guess.

You know that part in The Fault in Our Stars where they're on the plane watching a movie together on that little screen? That's way harder to do than it sounds like. The earphones keep falling off since we're sharing them, and there was always a glare on the screen for one of us.

Eventually we just turn off the movie and talk. Michael has been asleep for an hour already and Luke and Calum are listening to music.

"Did you love that girl? Joy?" she asks.

"What?"

"It's okay if you did. I'm not expecting for you to only fall in love once like they say in movies or whatever. You've had other relationships. So have I. We don't need to pretend we've never fallen in love."

"I don't know if I loved her, honestly," I answer. "She was beautiful. I just wanted to know more and more about her, but I think anything she ever said was a lie. I was in love with the person she pretended to be. Not with who she was."

Claire nods, staring out the window.

"Did you love Luke?" I ask carefully.

She hesitates then answers, "I loved love. Not him."

"What do you mean?"

"Everything I've ever had has been temporary. I mean, everything is temporary, but things just left me faster than most people. I loved the idea of someone wanting me and saying they wouldn't leave. That's what I fell in love with. Luke's a great guy, but-"

"But he's not me," I finish playfully.

///////////

Hi hello you're reading this yay

Short chapter oops. OH WELL at least I updated!

Love you all!

MCG